- Per Sports Illustrated’s Greg Bishop, former Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins said he asked for a new contract because he knew “that asking for a little raise would lead to the outcome that I got, which is the outcome that I wanted (Texans HC Bill O’Brien trading him to the Cardinals.)”
- Hopkins said he’s not demanding a new deal with the Cardinals but the two sides are working on one that could make him the highest-paid non-quarterback in the league.
- Appalachian State RB Darrynton Evans has video conferenced with the Cardinals. (Justin Melo)
49ers GM John Lynch said during an interview with Rich Eisen that they mulled over the possibility of making a run at signing QB Tom Brady in free agency, but they love what they have in Jimmy Garoppolo.
“When you’re talking about one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time with Tom Brady, of course you’re going to have some internal discussion,” Lynch said, via ESPN.com. “And then you hear rumors that hey, he’d like to come home, that kind of thing.
“So of course Kyle and I have discussions. We’re always into getting better, so you always look at everything, especially a situation like that. But within a day or two, Kyle and I looked at each other and said, ‘You know what, we really like what we have in Jimmy.’ We love everything that he brings and we really believe it’s a long-term answer. I would tell you we’re more convinced than ever about who our quarterback is in Jimmy Garoppolo.”
- Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline says the 49ers are one of the teams that are very high on Utah CB Jaylon Johnson, though not as high as the Raiders are.
- Appalachian State RB Darrynton Evans has video conferenced with the 49ers. (Justin Melo)
- North Dakota State DE Derrek Tuszka has held FaceTime meetings with the 49ers. (Justin Melo)
- Per Joe Curley of the Ventura County Star, Rams HC Sean McVay called the trade of WR Brandin Cooks “a big vote of confidence” for WR Josh Reynolds who likely moves into the starting lineup: “We just feel he’s a capable starting receiver.”
- Appalachian State RB Darrynton Evans has video conferenced with the Rams. (Justin Melo)