According to a new Bill Parcells‘ biography, 49ers GM Trent Baalke had Parcells as his top choice to coach the team back in 2011.
Of course, the 49ers ultimately hired Jim Harbaugh and have gone on to have plenty of success since then.
Here’s an interesting excerpt from the book regarding Baalke’s head coaching plans, via Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle:
“After Baalke secured the job, he quietly tried to lure his first choice for head coach: Bill Parcells. York and Baalke emphasized that although the club had missed the playoffs for eight straight seasons, it contained a talented roster. The 49ers saw Parcells, even at sixty-nine and having been away from the sideline since the 2006 season, as someone who would lead the franchise to the playoffs for at least a couple seasons while sharing Baalke’s vision. But citing his age and the team’s distance from his home base (Jupiter, Fla.), Parcells put an end to any serious discussions. The 49ers turned their attention to the Stanford head coach on so many wish lists.”
- Jaguars placed OT Austin Pasztor on season-ending injured reserve. (Ryan O’Halloran)
- Jaguars signed LB A.J. Edds to a contract. (Ryan O’Halloran)
- Panthers signed TE Kevin Greene to their practice squad.
- Ravens cut TE Allen Reisner from their practice squad.
- Texans promoted TE Anthony Denham from their practice squad. (Mark Berman)
- Texans placed ILB Max Bullough on season-ending injured reserve. (Mark Berman)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!