- RB LeSean McCoy had an apparent hamstring injury during Tuesday’s practice, though HC Rex Ryan said he is “hoping” this it is just a strain. (Joe Buscaglia)
- Ryan said that fifth-round rookie RB Karlos Williams has undergone a “procedure” and will miss at least two weeks. He is currently being hospitalized. (Mike Rodak)
- Ryan called RB Fred Jackson‘s hamstring injury “major“, and is hopeful that he will return in time for the regular season opener. (Joe Buscaglia)
- Ryan admitted that WR Percy Harvin‘s hip condition is “worse than first thought“, and had a pain-killing injection in the hip at Tuesday’s practice. (Mike Rodak)
- HC Lovie Smith said LB Bruce Carter has been moved to the strong side and is competing against LB Danny Lansanah for the starting role. (Rick Stroud)
Smith has given the impression that recently signed OL Gosder Cherilus will be the team’s starting right tackle.
“You don’t bring a player like that in unless you plan on him helping you out in some kind of way fairly soon,” Smith said, via Pat Yasinskas of ESPN. “We wouldn’t bring him in here unless we felt like he could help us this year.”
It is worth mentioning that second-year OT Reid Fragel took first-team reps at right tackle at Tuesday’s practice, though Yasinskas writes that “it’s only a matter of time” before Cherilus is listed as a starter.
Martin walked off the practice field with a member of the team’s medical staff after going down for a considerable amount of time. Jones said it is unclear if Martin will return to practice.
- Evan Woodberry of the New Orleans Times-Picayune believes “it’s not out of the question” for DC Rob Ryan to get fired at the Saints’ Week11 bye, if the team gets off to a disastrous first half of the regular season.
- According to Woodberry, second-year WR Seantavius Jones is on the bubble to make the active roster and is a candidate to rejoin the team’s practice squad.
- Woodberry “expects” second-year WR Brandon Coleman to catch “a lot” of passes this season and is on the verge of having a “big season.“