The prior CBA agreement allowed teams and players to negotiate a sixth year for players taken in he top portion of the draft.
According to Fitzgerald, the sixth year of these agreements are essentially a “dummy year” that worked as a salary cap placeholder for prorated money from an option bonus paid in the second year of a player’s contract.
However, the sixth year is voidable once a player reached the minimum playtime threshold, which according to Fitzgerald is around 45 percent of the team’s snaps in any year thereafter.
Other players with similar voidable years include: Lions DT Ndamukong Suh, Jaguars DT Tyson Alualu, Chargers RB Ryan Mathews, Eagles OLB Brandon Graham, Giants DE Jason Pierre-Paul, and Titans DE/OLB Derrick Morgan.
- 49ers signed NT Garrison Smith to their practice squad.
- HC Mike Pettine told reporters that “we don’t know where we are at the quarterback position.”
- Pettine added that QB Brian Hoyer (shoulder) will rest today. (Mary Kay Cabot)
- Patriots signed DL Cam Henderson to their practice squad.
- Titans signed CB Ri’Shard Anderson to their practice squad.