While Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was clearly against the six-game suspension the NFL handed to RB Ezekiel Elliott last year, he believes it will ultimately help Elliott moving forward.
“Two things, No. 1, we all know that on a personal basis that issue was a hard issue for Zeke,” Jones said Tuesday at the Senior Bowl, via the Dallas Morning News. “Logic tells me that what he had to deal with that is a big deterrent in looking at anything like that in the future. That’s about the best way I know, that when those kinds of negative things happen to you there is usually follow, usually create deterrence for doing it again when you’ve had that kind of experience that he had this past year. That was a lot of punishment for him under the circumstances for what he didn’t do.”
- Dolphins executive VP Mike Tannenbaum mentioned during an interview with the NFL Network Wednesday that they plan to draft best available player regardless of position when asked about the quarterback position. (Armando Salguero)
- Regarding free agent WR Jarvis Landry, Tannenbaum says “we have more time to go before the deadline” to sign him and they plan to “see where it goes.” (Armando Salguero)
- Salguero points out that Miami made no secret about wanting Kenny Stills back last year. However, the Dolphins have not said they would like to re-sign Landry one time this year.
- Salguero’s guess right now is that the Dolphins will allow Landry to test the open market and see what’s out there for him. If Landry is able to secure $14-$15 million per year as part of a long-term deal from another team, Salguero says he’ll likely be playing elsewhere. However, if the best he can do is $11-12 million annually, Miami could bring Landry back.
- As for QB Ryan Tannehill, Tannenbaum says he’s “everything we want” and they’re excited to get him back for the 2018 season. (Armando Salguero)
- Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida Times-Union expects Jaguars WR Allen Robinson to either play the 2018 season under the franchise tag or sign a multi-year contract with the team.
- O’Halloran believes WR Marqise Lee to sign with another team in the coming months.
- Some players O’Halloran can see being back in Jacksonville next year include CB Aaron Colvin, LB Paul Posluszny, OL Patrick Omameh and QB Chad Henne.
- We have some of these players featured in our Top 100 – 2018 NFL Free Agents list.
- Alex Marvez of the Sporting News reports that Dwaine Board is no longer the Seahawks’ assistant defensive line coach.