Home Cowboys NFL Notes: Cowboys, Giants, Panthers, Patriots, & Steelers
- Todd Archer of ESPN gives a nine-year, $117 million contract as a starting point for WR Dez Bryant‘s extension, with a possible $36-to-$38 million in guaranteed money.
- Archer expects the Cowboys to at least match their sack total of 28 last season, but believe they have a better pass-rushing unit than last season.
- Archer is unsure whether FB Tyler Clutts will make the active roster, but knows that he is liked from the coaches.
- Archer is not confident that RB Lache Seastrunk will make the active roster.
- Dan Graziano of ESPN views first-round rookie OT Ereck Flowers and second-round rookie S Landon Collins as likely first day starters.
- As a more unexpected prediction, Graziano could see fifth-round rookie Mykkele Thompson winning the free safety job, while third-round rookie DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa to be a “key” contributor.
- David Newton of ESPN believes there is “no question” that WR Kelvin Benjamin will be the team’s No. 1 receiver for 2015, barring a major injury.
- Newton labeled first-round rookie LB Shaq Thompson, second-round rookie TE Devin Funchess, or LT Michael Oher as new players that could make a large impact in 2015.
- Newton mentions WR Jerricho Cochery as a player that could be “on the bubble” to make the active roster.
- According to Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston, the next item of business for the Patriots is likely to be a long-term extension for franchise K Stephen Gostkowski.
- Reiss mentions that the Patriots recent decision to cut veteran TE Fred Davis “further fuels speculation” that there was more to their decision to waive TE Tim Wright.
- Steelers OT Kelvin Beachum tells Alex Marvez that the team has yet to speak to him about a contract extension.
- Beachum mentioned that he’s not sweating the situation, even though he’s in the final year of his contract, and is instead focused on his level of play.