According to Rapoport, JPP is still expected to return to the Giants before the start of the regular season, but his status for Week 1 is still “up in the air.”
The Giants and their doctors still have yet to receive a definitive update from him, and communication between the coaching staff and JPP has been mostly vague.
Rapoport mentions that it’s still possible the two sides could negotiate a deal that would prevent the Giants from placing him on the non-football injury list, which in turn would ensure that Pierre-Paul is paid for the first six weeks of the season.
This is the main reason why JPP has yet to sign his $14.8 million franchise tender.
- Browns HC Mike Pettine told reporters that an MRI isn’t necessary for QB Johnny Manziel‘s elbow. (Scott Petrak)
- Pettine added that they’re hoping rest will be enough for Manziel’s elbow to heal. (Scott Petrak)
- According to Pat Yasinskas of ESPN, Buccaneers fourth-round LB Kwon Alexander has been the “most pleasant surprise of training camp.”
- Yasinskas mentions that second-round OL Ali Marpet has held his own and is expected to open the season as the starting right guard.
- Bucs S D.J. Swearinger appears to have locked up the Buccaneers starting strong safety job.
- Yasinskas mentions that veteran S Chris Conte is on the roster bubble, as is TE Tim Wright.