- Mike Reiss of ESPN reports that a Tuesday meeting between Patriots HC Bill Belichick and OC Josh McDaniels ultimately convinced McDaniels to return to New England and back out on the deal with the Colts.
- According to Reiss, Belichick’s willingness to take his mentorship to a higher level played a significant part in McDaniels reversing course.
- Reiss says that Belichick told McDaniels that he would spend more time with him on the inner workings of the Patriots, including roster construction and salary-cap management, which was viewed as “extremely valuable” to McDaniels.
- Both Robert and Jonathan Kraft endorsed the move because it would give them a succession plan for Belichick.
- Another factor in McDaniels staying was the Patriots’ decision to make a long-term contractual commitment that would give McDaniels’ four children the ability to stay in the same school for an extended period of time.
- Reiss adds that McDaniels was prepared to take the Colts’ job as of Tuesday morning before his conversations with the Krafts and Belichick changed his mind.
- Alex Marvez reports that the Cardinals are hiring former Titans QBs coach Jason Michael as their next tight ends coach.
- Marvez adds that the Cowboys were pursuing Michael for the same position on their staff, but were unable to sign him to a deal.
- John Gambadoro of ArizonaSports.com reports that the Cardinals are expected to pick up the $1 million roster bonus owed to veteran S Antoine Bethea for the 2018 season.
- According to Albert Breer, the Lions have named David Carrao as director of football research. This happens to be the same title Ernie Adams has with the Patriots.
- Mike Garafolo reports that D’Anton Lynn, son of Chargers HC Anthony Lynn, is headed to the Texans to be their new assistant DBs coach.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!