Jason La Canfora reports that the Packers, Browns, Buccaneers and Cowboys have all been “sniffing around” in the safety market, but there hasn’t been any movement since free agency opened.
One agent who is involved in the market tells La Canfora that the market is totally dead and they can’t even get bad offers from teams.
“We’re barely even getting phone calls, and we’re not the only ones,” said the agent. “You can’t even get (BS) offers. We’re literally getting nothing. I’m not even talking one year, $3 million. Nothing. And it’s not just us.”
One theory proposed by the agent is that teams unwillingness to sign Eric Reid due to his protesting, it’s almost as though teams have collectively decided to stay away from the market as a whole.
“It feels like, with Eric Reid in the market, and teams not wanting to touch him, that a lot of other safeties are also being held down,” the agent added. “Instead of anybody getting $8 million to $9 million per year, no one is getting it.”
- The Giants are bringing in UTEP G Will Hernandez for a pre-draft visit. (Mike Garafolo)
- The Texans, Raiders, Chargers, Colts, Steelers and Eagles interviewed Texas LB Malik Jefferson at the Combine and the Cowboys had an informal meeting at the team’s headquarters with him on Tuesday. (Clarence Hill)
- Ohio State LB Chris Worley is scheduled to visit with the Texans. (Aaron Wilson)
- Michigan FB Khalid Hill said Friday that he has top-30 visits set up with the Seahawks and Colts. (Dave Birkett)
- The Texans put Miami DE/OLB Chad Thomas and DL Kendrick Norton through private workouts on Friday. (Josh Norris)
- Bethune Cookman WR Jawill Davis reportedly has interest from the Bears, Raiders, Buccaneers and Jaguars. (Aaron Wilson)
- The Cardinals worked out Houston QB Kyle Allen on Friday. (Aaron Wilson)
- Titans HC Mike Vrabel worked out Houston WR Steven Dunbar and QB Kyle Allen on Friday. (Aaron Wilson)
- Villanova CB Trey Johnson spoke with the Giants on Friday took a test with the Jaguars, Eagles, Packers, Steelers. Johnson reportedly has interest from the Bears and Raiders as well. (Aaron Wilson)
- The Packers will host Wisconsin FB Austin Ramesh for a pre-draft visit. (Tom Silverstein)
49ers GM John Lynch said during an interview with ESPN’s Golic and Wingo, that HC Kyle Shanahan was initially “in mourning” after they traded for Jimmy Garoppolo because his plan all along was to bring Kirk Cousins to San Francisco.
“For Kyle, I think the thing I would tell people,” Lynch said, via NFL.com, “is we made the trade and then there were some days that Kyle Shanahan was like in mourning, because I think everybody knows his master plan was to have Kirk Cousins come in eventually.
“I was proud of Kyle. Because I think he knew that this was the right thing for our franchise, and he didn’t hesitate. But even then Jimmy had to really prove himself. I think it was really smart. [Kyle] didn’t play him right away. He waited until he had some semblance of an understanding of our scheme when he did put him in. And he put him in in a position to succeed. And then I would tell you that Jimmy really impressed Kyle, to the point that he said, This is our guy.“