Panthers veteran LB Thomas Davis reiterated Monday that he doesn’t want his career to end “on a sour note” given that he’s suspended for the first four games of the 2018 season.
“I’d like to come back (after 2018) if the team will have me back,” Davis said, per Bill Voth.
A few months ago, Davis told reporters that he’s “very open” to playing beyond the 2018 season, so this doesn’t come as a big surprise.
“I’m very open to the possibility of playing next season,” said Davis, per Jourdan Rodrigue. “You haven’t been listening. I’m VERY OPEN.”
Davis has gone back and forth about his plans. Back in January, Davis told Brooke Cersosimo of NFL Media that the 2018 season will be his final year in the NFL.
“This will definitely be my last year coming up,” Davis said. “One of the reasons is I want to continue my contractual obligations. I signed on for a one-year extension, and I want to complete that. I’ve never been a guy to quit anything and I’m not going to start doing that now.”
Thoms is suspended for the first four games of the 2018 season.
Davis, 34, is a former first-round pick of the Panthers back in 2005. He was in the final year of his three-year, $18 million contract that includes $11.5 million guaranteed when he and the Panthers agreed to a one-year, $6.75 million extension through 2018.
In 2017, Davis appeared in 15 games and recorded 76 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and a fumble recovery. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 31 linebacker out of 88 qualifying players.