“He’s been a one-read quarterback strictly, with a good arm, and accuracy that’s very poor on short and mid-range throws,” the scouting director said. “He throws a good deep ball, he’s weird that way, like a guy that’s just really good off the tee. The short game is what he’s lacking, struggles placing it, and he struggles if his primary receiver is covered. But he’s big, good athlete, and this is a big year, because he’ll do some pro-style stuff.”
- Daniel Jeremiah posted his early scouting report for Lock and mentioned that he has a lot of similarities to Patrick Mahomes when he was coming out of Texas Tech, given that they both have big arms and move around really well.
“He’s got the best arm talent,” said the exec. “He looks like a very talented kid.”
However, there are similar concerns to Lock regarding the offensive system Stidham is running at Auburn.
- Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com says that Stidham reminds him of Derek Carr, given their similar body type and excellent athleticism for the position.
“I get the same feeling on him I had on Baker,” said the exec. “I expected an undersized guy with an average arm. When I left Oklahoma this year, I felt like Baker could make every throws. And I had the same feeling watching Grier against Virginia Tech—he’s a gamer, he’s got moxie, he has athleticism, and he can make the throws.”
- Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com mentions that Grier reminds him a lot of Bengals QB Andy Dalton when he was coming out of TCU, as they both are very athletic and creative with the ball in their hands, but don’t wow you with their size.
Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com also takes a look at other 2019 quarterback prospects including:
- Oregon’s Justin Herbert
- NC State’s Ryan Finley
- Penn State’s Trace McSorley
- Duke’s Daniel Jones
- Northwestern’s Clayton Thorson
- Michigan’s Shea Patterson
- Buffalo’s Tyree Jackson
- Central Florida’s McKenzie Milton