Lions RBs coach David Walker explained that they’re hoping veteran RB LeGarrette Blount will be able to “put a little bit more stress on the defense” this year.
“Hopefully, he’ll give us a little bit more than we had last year,” Walker said, via the Detroit Free Press. “It’s one thing with 200-pounds of Ameer [Abdullah] or Theo [Riddick] running through the hole that you have to tackle. And it’s a totally different animal trying to tackle a 240-pound LeGarrette Blount. So we understand that hopefully will put a little bit more stress on the defense.”
New Packers QB DeShone Kizer has earned some recent praise from OC Joe Philbin, who feels that the young signal caller has progressed well in their system.
“So I think so far, in a new system for him, and it’s been, what, five weeks into I guess, I like the development I’ve seen,” said Philbin, via Michael Cohen of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “Even just the way he’s attacked it in terms of putting in the extra time to learn the adjustments of the offense, not just the primary way, but maybe the secondary adjustments that go with a lot of plays in the system. I think he’s off to a really good start.”
Kizer added that learned “quite a bit” while starting for the Browns and believes those experiences will help him be a better quarterback.
“I looked at that season as an opportunity to develop,” Kizer said. “In this league, you can learn one of two ways: by fire or from watching. I was out in the fire and learned quite a bit about myself, a lot about what it takes to win in this league and now it’s about making sure that I take those experiences, learn from them and the next time I step back out there on an NFL field during the regular season that I’m in a better position to win a game.”
- Vikings LB Anthony Barr said he made the decision not to attend OTAs last week because he took out an insurance policy on himself and was waiting for the paperwork to come in. (Courtney Cronin)
- Regarding contract extension talks, Barr said: “That’s my agent, is doing a great job. They’re having conversations. I don’t know too many details on that. My focus is here with the team and getting better.’’ (Chris Tomasson)
- Vikings LB Eric Kendricks said of his brother, Mychal Kendricks, recently visiting with the Vikings: “At this point, he’s entering free agency and he’s just trying to find the best look for him. It’s a new thing for him and he’s going to find the best fit. … It’s on him now. Honestly, it’s his decision.’’ (Chris Tomasson)
- Vikings RB Dalvin Cook said of his rehab from a torn ACL: “I’m right where I need to be I ain’t trying to get myself too much of a workload because the season is not right now I’m just following my protocol and whatever they tell me to do I’m just going to take it day by day.” (Chris Tomasson)
- Vikings DE Danielle Hunter said he’s not worried about his contract situation. “I’m simply not worried about that. Everything is going to take care of itself in time. So what I do on this field determines whatever happens.’’ (Chris Tomasson)
- Vikings G Nick Easton mentioned that he would love to remain in Minnesota long-term: “I would love to be here long term.” Easton added that he’s hoping to get a deal done before the start of the season. (Chris Tomasson)