Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports writes that West Virginia QB Geno Smith will end up being a top-five pick and “there isn’t any doubt about it.“
La Canfora mentions that is wouldn’t be a surprise to see him get drafted by the Jaguars at No. 2 overall. He also adds that he’s not buying the idea that the Raiders, Cardinals and Bills are no longer considering taking a quarterback in the first-round now that they’ve all added new quarterbacks in the past week.
We have Smith going to the Bills at No. 8 overall in our most recent 2013 NFL Mock Draft.
Adam Schefter reports that the Cardinals will hold a private workout with USC QB Matt Barkley on Saturday.
Both GM Steve Keim and HC Bruce Arians will be in attendance for the workout.
While Jason La Canfora believes the Cardinals could still consider a quarterback at No. 7 overall, despite trading for Carson Palmer earlier in the week, many believe Barkley is a poor fit for the Cardinals offensive scheme given the concerns relating to his arm strength.
We have Barkley being taken by the Jaguars in the second-round of our 2013 NFL Mock Draft.
Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net reports that NFL teams “continue to fall in love” with BYU DE Ezekiel Ansah.
Pauline adds that Ansah will work out for the Buccaneers and wonders if they may consider moving up for him if they’re unable to complete a trade for CB Darrelle Revis.
Ansah is considered to be one of the best defensive end/outside linebackers in this year’s draft class, so there’s a good chance that he may not be available to Tampa Bay at No. 13 overall. The Bucs allowed Michael Bennett to depart during free agency with the intention of moving forward with Da’Quan Bowers and Adrian Clayborn as their starting defensive ends, so it’s not as though they’re in desperate need of another defensive end, but some extra depth wouldn’t hurt.
The general consensus is that Tampa Bay would likely target a cornerback in the first-round and Xavier Rhodes of Florida State appears to be the most likely target, assuming of course that they go this route.
We have Rhodes listed as the No. 18 best player in our recently updated 2013 Big Board.
John McClain of the Houston Chronicle is “convinced” that the Texans will take a wide receiver in the first-round.
McClain mocked Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins to the Texans at pick No. 27.
It seems like the Texans are always rumored to be considering a wide receiver in the first-round and always end up going in a different direction. Houston could also use some help at right tackle, inside linebacker, defensive tackle and in the secondary, but there’s no question that finding a legitimate No. 2 receiver to play across from Andre Johnson is a must.
We have them taking California WR Keenan Allen at No. 27 in our most recent 2013 NFL Mock Draft.
The Eagles continue to meet with a number of the top prospects in this year’s draft.
Jeff McLane reports that CB Dee Milliner, DT Star Lotulelei and QB E.J. Manuel will visit with the Eagles next week.
On top of that, QB Geno Smith and DE/OLB Ezekiel Ansah visited them on Wednesday, with DE/OLB Dion Jordan and OT Eric Fisher arriving later on that night. Texas A&M OT Luke Joeckel is also expected to meet with the team at some point in near future.
Here’s a full list of the Eagles‘ reported visits. (Birds 24/7)
- Jets are reportedly targeting Stanford TE Zach Ertz or North Carolina DT Sylvester Williams in the second-round. (Tony Pauline)
- Jaguars visits: Oregon DE/OLB Dion Jordan and OTs Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher. (Florida Times-Union)
- Ravens visits: Texas A&M DE Damontre Moore earlier this week. (Baltimore Sun)
- Buccaneers visits: LSU DB Tyrann Mathieu on Thursday. (Stephen Holder)
- Bengals visits: Texas S Kenny Vaccaro and North Carolina RB Giovani Bernard. (Joe Reedy)
- Browns visits: BYU DE/OLB Ezekiel Ansah and San Diego State TE Gavin Escobar. (Akron Beacon Journal)
- Jets visits: OLB Dion Jordan on Thursday and Friday with SMU DE Margus Hunt this weekend. (Brian Costello)
- Bills visits: QB Geno Smith, S Kenny Vaccaro, LB Kevin Minter, WR Ryan Swope. (Ian Rapoport)
- North Carolina G Jonathan Cooper visits: Cowboys on Wednesday and the Browns and Titans later on (Ian Rapoport)
- Fresno State S Phillip Thomas visits set up with the Cowboys, Redskins & Steelers. (Tony Pauline)
- UCLA RB Johnathan Franklin visits: Rams on Wednesday and Steelers on Thursday. (Tony Pauline)
- Patriots visits: Washington CB Desmond Trufant on Thursday and Friday. (Ian Rapoport)
- Alabama OT D.J. Fluker visits: set up with Vikings, Rams and Buccaneers. (Tony Pauline)
- Oregon DE Dion Jordan visits: Cardinals, Eagles, Jaguars, will visit the Jets, Buccaneers, Titans, Bills, Lions, Browns and Steelers. Obviously very popular. (Adam Schefter)
- Central Florida RB Latavius Murray is a “hot prospect right now.” (Gil Brandt)
- Tennessee QB Tyler Bray will hold a private workout with the Bills on Saturday. (Jason La Canfora)