- Jeff Dickerson of ESPN writes that while it’s possible the Bears could use their franchise tag on WR Alshon Jeffery again this year, both parties would likely prefer to get a long-term deal done. Franchising Jeffery would cost Chicago around $17.5 million.
- According to Dickerson, re-signing veteran QB Brian Hoyer as a bridge quarterback for a developmental prospect is a “logical” move for the Bears.
- Dickerson can see the Bears re-signing OLB Sam Acho and DE Cornelius Washington to one-year deals.
- Joe Buscaglia of WKBW writes that if the Bills end up declining QB Tyrod Taylor’s option, they should consider re-signing free agent CB Stephon Gilmore. However, Buscaglia says it would be difficult for Buffalo to keep both players, due to their salary cap mismanagement in recent years.
- Chris Brown takes a look at six free agents who could make sense for the Bills to consider this offseason. Brown’s list includes Cardinals CB Marcus Cooper, Titans LB Sean Spence, Ravens RT Ricky Wagner, Rams S T.J. McDonald, and Rams WR Kenny Britt.
- Other options, according to Brown, could include Steelers CB Ross Cockrell, Raiders LB Malcolm Smith, Lions RT Riley Reiff and Ravens WR Kamar Aiken.
Cardinals owner Michael Bidwell also confirmed that they will franchise OLB Chandler Jones if they can’t get a long-term deal done soon.
“He’s a great pass rusher, but if we can’t agree to terms that work for us, we’re just going to franchise him,” Bidwell said during an appearance on Arizona Sports 98.7, via AzCardinals.com. “His people know that.”
Bidwell also mentioned that they’re in active negotiations with some of their other free agents.
“We’re going to be negotiating with these folks and we already are, and we’re hopeful to get everyone under contract,” Bidwill said. “If we get everybody under contract, that’ll be a huge win for us. If we get most of them, that will be very good for us.”
While previous reports mentioned that the Ravens were likely to focus on a power-running game in 2017, new Senior offensive assistant/TEs coach Greg Roman stressed the importance of balance.
“I definitely think we want to be a balanced offense. That’s what I’m getting from Marty and John,” Roman said, via BaltimoreRavens.com. “That’s how you win in his league consistently. I’m really excited about that.”
“I wouldn’t try to pigeonhole us just yet that we’re going to try to be ground and pound,” Roman said. “Who really wins big doing that? I think you have to have balance. But that doesn’t mean we’re not going to make people respect us in that phase of the game.”
- Seahawks veteran DE Cliff Avril announced via his Twitter account that he underwent surgery on Tuesday.