Home / Chargers / NFL Notes: Preseason, Chargers, Cowboys & Steelers
NFL Notes: Preseason, Chargers, Cowboys & Steelers
- According to Seth Wickersham, there has been “lots of chatter among executives that these might be the last preseason games.“
- Instead, Wickersham says that next year the preseason could consist of all live scrimmages with coaches mic’d up.
- Michael Gehlken mentions that if the Cowboys are interested in trading for a quarterback, the Chargers likely have Zach Mettenberger available.
- Gehlken mentions that Kellen Clemens has “cemented” the backup job and Mike Bercovici would likely be claimed if waived, which leaves Mettenberger as the odd-man out.
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk writes that at some point, the Cowboys will need to ask themselves if QB Tony Romo is worth the money he’s owed in his contract, considering his age, injury history and the possibility of further injury.
- It’s going to be difficult for the Cowboys to part ways with Romo in the coming years, as releasing him in 2017 would result in a staggering $19.6M in dead money and just $5.1M in cap room.
- If Dallas were instead to wait until 2018 to release Romo, those figures improve to $16.3M in available cap space and $8.9 million in dead money.
- Cowboys HC Jason Garrett told reporters on Sunday that Romo will wear a back brace during his recovery time from the compression fracture in his vertebra. (Todd Archer)
- Steelers DE Cam Heyward said his high-ankle sprain is between grades one and two, but reiterated that he expects to be ready by Week 1, saying: “I take pride in not missing games. It’s Week 1. I’m going to be there.” (Jeremy Fowler)
Tags Cam Heyward Jason Garrett Kellen Clemens Mike Bercovici Tony Romo Zach Mettenberger Zach Metternberger