“I think Kirk Cousins will be the 49ers quarterback in 2018, almost certainly,” Silver said, per Marc Sessler.
Silver added that he believes Cousins wants no part of being with the Redskins.
“I believe that Kirk Cousins wants no part of Washington right now and would like to be in San Francisco,” Silver said, per Marc Sessler.
- Kevin Jones of KNBR reports that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder “is holding onto bad blood” between himself and 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan.
- Jones says that this and draft compensation, GM Scot McCloughan’s absence and Cousins’ refusal to sign his franchise tag are among the reason why the Redskins haven’t worked out a trade for Cousins with the 49ers.
- According to Charean Williams, the Cowboys No. 1 goal this offseason is to sign G Zack Martin to a long-term contract extension.
- Williams says that Dallas plans to sign some of their 17 unrestricted free agents to extensions, as opposed to chasing big-name options in free agency.
- Ian Rapoport mentioned that Jets as a potential dark horse suitor for Tony Romo, but added: “I just don’t get the sense that that’s where they’re going to go at QB.” (Marc Sessler)
- Jason La Canfora shot down the idea, saying that there’s Romo is not going to the Jets and neither party would be interested in the possibility.
Liz Clarke and Mike Jones of the Washington Post, citing multiple people with knowledge of the situation, report that it’s become clear that GM Scot McCloughan’s departure from the team is inevitable.
Three sources have told the Washington Post that the relations between president Bruce Allen and McCloughan have “soured to the point that the general manager’s return is now viewed as virtually impossible.”
McCloughan has reportedly grown increasingly frustrated by the ongoing friction and the fact that the team didn’t come to his defense after allegations that his absence could be related to his drinking.
If/when they part ways with McCloughan, the Post says that they could consider trying to get A.J. Smith to return to the NFL. Another option could be to name Scott Campbell, Alex Santos or Doug Williams GM.