Redskins GM Bruce Allen mentioned that they’re likely to hold off until closer to training camp before deciding on whether or not to sign free agent RB Tim Hightower.
“I know Tim wanted to look at a few other teams,” Allen said, via the Washington Post. “We did draft two running backs. So we’re going to go through the OTAs, see where we’re at with our young guys and then make a decision closer to training camp.”
The Redskins and Giants have reportedly been keeping tabs on Hightower in recent weeks.
Tarik El-Bashir of CSN Washington mentioned that it appears as though Roy Helu and No. 154 overall pick RB Chris Thompson will compete for a roster spot. The same is expected for Evan Royster and Jawan Jamison.
Alfred Morris is clearly their No. 1 option, but adding some additional talent could make sense, depending on how things go during training camp.
Hightower has found very little interest this offseason, but did workout for the Giants last month. He suffered a ACL tear back in 2011, so hopefully he’s finally back to full strength. We’ll have to see if anyone gives him a shot to compete for a job during training camp.
Jones’ source added that the Giants are expected to meet with Hightower again “in a couple weeks,” but the Redskins’ interest in signing him remains unclear at this point in time.