- Per the Athletic’s Connor Hughes, Jets HC Adam Gase says QB Sam Darnold was not cleared for full contact on Monday as he recovers from mono and they didn’t get a clear answer “they were hoping for” from the doctors on whether he’d be able to play next week.
- According to Dr. David Chao, Darnold is likely to miss this week’s game against the Eagles and possibly next week’s game against the Cowboys.
- Darnold wouldn’t confirm or deny if his spleen was still swollen, saying he’ll just do what the doctors tell him to do: “My spleen is going to do what it’s going to do.” (Hughes)
- Darnold says he’s anxious to play but he’s listening to the doctors: “I’m super anxious to get out there. But I have control those emotions.” (Manish Mehta)
- He adds that he’s felt fine and recovered from his illness for a while now, he just has to take it slow while ramping back up: “I’ve been feeling 100 percent for a week now. That’s the most frustrating part.” (Mehta)
- Gase mentioned he has opened up the offensive line to competition and they will play the best five guys whoever they may be: “We don’t know who that’s going to be yet.” (Hughes)
- Gase added neither LB C.J. Mosley (groin) nor LB Jordan Jenkins (calf) are likely to practice Wednesday. (Ethan Greenberg)
- Gase noted it would be tough to say for sure if Mosley will return this week without seeing him at practice: “It’s tough (…) Until we get him out at practice, we need to get him out to practice to see what he looks like.” (Hughes)
- Mosley, who initially suffered his injury in the season opener, says he’s focusing on taking it slow so he doesn’t reinjure himself: “I’ve made a lot of progress. I don’t want to rush it and then make the injury worse than what it already is.” (Mehta)
- Gase did tell reporters first-round rookie DT Quinnen Williams would play in Week 5 against the Eagles. (Brian Costello)