Home Bills AFC East Notes: Bills, Jets, Patriots
- According to ESPN’s Marcel Louis-Jacques, the Bills’ top priorities for extensions this offseason will be CB Tre’Davious White, LB Matt Milano and OT Dion Dawkins.
- Those three are among HC Sean McDermott‘s first draft picks and make up part of the core of the team the Bills’ have emphasized the need to keep.
- Buffalo will also likely let RB Frank Gore walk after his yards per carry declined down the stretch in 2019. (Louis-Jacques)
- Despite an injury-shortened 2019, Louis-Jacques thinks the Bills bring back TE Tyler Kroft in 2020.
- Bills DL coach Bill Teerlinck will leave the Bills to take the same position at Virginia Tech. (Vic Carucci)
- The Athletic’s Connor Hughes identifies offensive line, wide receiver and cornerback as some of the top draft needs for the Jets this year.
- Right now the options for receiver include Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy and Henry Ruggs III, Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb and Clemson’s Tee Higgins. At offensive tackle, Georgia’s Andrew Thomas, Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs and Alabama’s Jedrick Wills are potential options.
- With a number of needs, Hughes says Jets GM Joe Douglas is more likely to trade back than trade up in the draft.
- The Athletic’s Jeff Howe identifies Patriots RB Rex Burkhead as a potential cap casualty, as New England has 2019 third-round RB Damien Harris in the wings and can save $3 million by cutting Burkhead.
- Tight end is an area Howe thinks New England could revamp, as only two are currently under contract in 2020 and the Patriots can save $1.4 million by cutting Matt LaCosse.
- Patriots WR Julian Edelman could be considering offseason surgery, as he had a separated AC joint, rib injury and a knee issue that hampered him in 2019.
- Howe points out Patriots WR Mohamed Sanu‘s $6.5 million salary isn’t guaranteed in 2020, making him a potential cut if he doesn’t improve in training camp.
- Per Howe, there’s a good chance the Patriots let G Joe Thuney go since they’ve already committed a big-money extension to G Shaq Mason.
- Howe mentions the Patriots might be able to keep LB Jamie Collins and could look to extend LB Dont’a Hightower to create more cap space.
- Patriots LB Kyle Van Noy is a strong candidate to receive more money to play elsewhere this offseason.
- Patriots CB Jason McCourty is another potential cap casualty, as he missed most of the second half of the season with a torn groin and could save New England $4 million.
- Howe writes the Patriots are likely to agree to an extension to keep S Devin McCourty if he doesn’t retire.
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes that while former Dolphins OC Chad O’Shea left the Patriots for Miami last year, he might be open to returning depending on if no other play-calling opportunities arise.