- The Dolphins tried out OT Antonio Garcia (signed to practice squad), LBs Tre’ Crawford, Donald Payne, Brady Sheldon, G Tyler Marz and OT Ryan Pope. (Howard Balzer)
- According to the Athletic’s Connor Hughes, the Jets were trending toward replacing G Kelechi Osemele with G Alex Lewis even before Osemele’s injury.
- Hughes adds the Jets like third-round rookie Chuma Edoga‘s athleticism at right tackle ahead of Brandon Shell, who was benched and inactivated Sunday.
- Hughes mentions Jets WR Demaryius Thomas was instrumental in the team claiming WR Vyncint Smith from the Texans practice squad. When Thomas was in Houston last year, he was impressed with how Smith stayed glued to his side and was eager to learn.
The Patriots declined to activate TE Ben Watson this week following the end of his four-game suspension, making the 38-year-old a free agent. Patriots HC Bill Belichick said there wasn’t space on the roster for Watson despite having only two tight ends on the roster with a combined seven catches through five games this season. New England did save a little over $2 million in cap space by releasing Watson, which could have factored into the decision for the cap-strapped Patriots.
“Just don’t have a roster spot,” Belichick said via NBC Sports’ Nick Goss. “We only have so many roster spots. If we put somebody on, we have to take somebody off. Right now, there wasn’t a roster spot. We didn’t feel like there was somebody we could create a roster spot with. Everybody came out of the game healthy. We have a decent team. So, I think that’s where we’re at.”
- Belichick did leave the door open to potentially bringing back Watson at some point: “I like Ben. We just don’t have a roster spot for him right now. Maybe that will change.” (Doug Kyed)
- The Patriots worked out K Nick Rose, DB Brian Allen and DL Eddie Vanderdoes on Tuesday. (Aaron Wilson)