- The Cleveland Browns announced that they’ve hired Alabama DC Tosh Lupoi as their next defensive line coach.
- Alex Marvez reports that the Browns are hiring John Lilly as their new TEs coach.
- If Roethlisberger were to pay under franchise tags he would be looking at making $27.84 million in 2020 and $33.4 million in 2021. When you factor in his current average salary of $21.85 million, the three-year average salary including two franchise tags comes out to $26 million.
“The Le’Veon situation was very unique in a sense that we actually had the opportunity to play out an entire season with a guy that was supposed to be his backup (James Conner),” Foster said, via SiriusXM NFL Radio. “And in doing that, we discovered a new star in this league and that’s James Conner. So I think, if Le’Veon’s not with the Steelers next year, that’s a situation that’s kind of handled itself.”
As for the Steelers’ issues with Antonio Brown, Foster mentioned that he is still unsure if the team will end up trading him or whether Pittsburgh will gain draft picks or players in exchange for Brown.
“When you’re dealing with AB’s situation, the Steelers kind of control that card in a sense,” Foster said. “If he’s not there – unless the only reason that he won’t be there, according to Mr. (Art) Rooney, is he won’t be cut – there will be some trade value given. I don’t know what that’s going to say, I don’t know what they’re going to get for him if they’re actually planning on trading him, whether it’s draft picks or whether it’s players.”
- Steelers owner Art Rooney said that he has talked to HC Mike Tomlin about having an assistant on the sideline to help him with challenge calls and called the possible position “important.” (Ed Bouchette)
- Bouchette adds that the team would not hire someone specifically to help with challenges, but it would be a current member on the Steelers’ staff to gain that role.