“The critical piece to that is that we’ve had communications with Shaq and we’re on the same page,” McDermott said via Sal Capaccio. “Doesn’t necessarily mean after this year we will go our separate ways. We like the work he’s put in.”
- McDermott said they knew QB Derek Anderson was planning to retire when they started their offseason program: At the end of the day, we respect Derek’s decision. “He’s been nothing but a joy to work with all the way back to my time in Carolina.” (Joe Buscaglia)
- McDermott added he’s been impressed with International Pathways RB Christian Wade: “To watch the way he works, the work ethic….he brings positive energy to our building every day. He has a big challenge in front of him.” (Capaccio)
“You got to take football and put it to the side,” Marrone said via Tiffany Blackmon. “It’s not about football, it’s about making sure he’s okay. We respect his decision.”
Ian Rapoport reports that the Jaguars first found out that something was going on with LB Telvin Smith a few weeks ago before he skipped offseason conditioning.
Smith’s agent then told the Jaguars earlier this week that his client needed to step away for an undisclosed reason.
The Jaguars have not had any conversations with Smith since the season and at times weren’t even sure where he was, according to Rapoport.
Rapoport says that no one involved with the Jaguars knows what the personal issue is that Smith has been dealing with.
- Jets HC Adam Gase says he’s extending the same fresh start to rookie LB Jachai Polite as he is the rest of the roster despite a reportedly horrible pre-draft process that caused him to fall to the third round: “A fresh start. What happened in the past is irrelevant to me.” (Manish Mehta)
- Jets first-round DT Quinnen Williams says the team hasn’t told him yet where he’s going to play: “The can put me on kickoff returns. I’ll go crazy. Wherever they put me, I’m going to try and dominate.” (Brian Costello)
- Williams said he’d love to be able to sack Tom Brady: “It’s crazy. Tom Brady started playing in the NFL before I was born. To be able to sack him would be amazing.” (Ralph Vacchiano)