Dolphins HC Brian Flores said rookie DT Raekwon Davis has been “improving on a daily basis” this year.
“I was excited obviously to get Raekwon,” Flores said, via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. “We got him. He’s improving on a daily basis. He’s probably never seen me smile. He can spend time thinking about whether that’s the same guy he deals with on a daily basis. Not sure he feels that.”
Flores explained that Davis has a difficult role on their defensive line given he occupies both A-gaps and must always be aware of the offense’s scheme.
“Teams do different schemes and that middle is you. That middle is all you. Your name is written on it. You’ve got two A gaps. It’s hard. You’ve got to know your responsibilities, you’ve got to know what scheme that the offense is in and you’ve got to know what you’re doing at all times,” said Flores.
Dolphins’ rookie WR Malcolm Perry feels he has a better knowledge of what opposing defenses are running now entering Week 11.
“Probably just the knowledge of what’s going on [with an opposing] defense,” Perry said. “In college, everything was a lot more simple.”
Jets HC Adam Gase said QB Sam Darnold (shoulder) has a “good shot” to play in Week 12 against the Dolphins.
“He’s feeling better. I think we’ve got a good shot for the next game,” said Gase, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.
- Gase said he is optimistic that CB Bless Austin (neck) will play in Week 11 after having a “positive MRI result.” (Rich Cimini)
- DOUBTFUL for Week 11: LB Blake Cashman (hamstrings), QB Sam Darnold (right shoulder)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 11: CB Blessuan Austin (neck), K Sam Ficken (right groin)
When asked about whether he wants to continue playing for the Patriots, veteran CB Stephon Gilmore responded that he is happy to be in New England.
“We’ve got great coaches here. We’ve got great players. We’ve got young players here getting better and better. I’m just enjoying the moment. I love being here. I love the culture. I’m happy that I’m a Patriot,” via Michael Giardi.
Gilmore said he is “progressing” from his knee injury and is looking forward to Week 11.
“I wasn’t physically able to play these last couple weeks… Just happy that I’m progressing and getting better, and looking forward to this week,” said Gilmore, via Sean T. McGuire.
When asked about his trade rumors at the deadline, Gilmore said he is focused on producing and isn’t concerned about what he can’t control.
“That’s a question you have to ask the organization. The only thing I can do every day is just come to work and prepare and try to give it my best each and every week. Some stuff you can’t control in life,” said Gilmore, via Michael Giardi.
- Though Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore (knee) is preparing to play in Week 11, he did not guarantee he would appear: “It was tough not playing,” per Mike Reiss.
- Patriots’ QB Cam Newton admitted that ever since returning from the COVID-19 list, he has been feeling as if he is stuck in place: “Ever since coming back from corona to be honest with you, I felt stagnant in my thought process,” Newton said, via NFL.com. “It’s just the fact that I wasn’t able to do anything for that stint while I was off and it showed. Coming back, pretty much dry and knowing that as this offense goes, it evolves. When I did come back, I just felt behind. The production here of late is nothing to blame more or less than me just taking ownership and responsibility that I just have to be better.”
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 11: LB Ja’Whaun Bentley (groin), DT Adam Butler (shoulder), K Nick Folk (back), CB Stephon Gilmore (knee), DT Lawrence Guy (shoulder, elbow, knee), LB Terez Hall (shoulder), RB Damien Harris (ankle, chest), WR N’Keal Harry (shoulder), TE Ryan Izzo (hamstring, hand), G Shaquille Mason (calf), DE John Simon (elbow), WR Matt Slater (knee), T Joe Thuney (ankle), DE Deatrich Wise (knee, hand), T Isaiah Wynn (ankle)