- According to the Athletic’s Stephen Holder, while the Colts would definitely be interested in hiring former Cowboys DL coach Rod Marinelli, he doesn’t anticipate it happening given the other options Marinelli will have.
- The Panthers will hire Colts DL coach Mike Phair to their defensive coaching staff. (Football Scoop)
- 94WIP’s Eliot Shorr-Parks lists the Jaguars as a potential trade destination for Eagles WR Alshon Jeffery.
The splits between when the Texans have WR Will Fuller on the field versus when he’s not are staggering. With his speed and rapport with QB Deshaun Watson, Texans WR Will Fuller is a threat to score on every play. The only problem is Fuller isn’t on the field as much as the Texans would like, as he missed five games this year with a core muscle injury and has yet to play a full 16-game season heading into the fifth year of his career.
“That’s a big goal for me to play all 16,” Fuller said via Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle. “I just need to find someone that’s good at what they do so they can help me out, figure out my body and everything I can do from the inside out.”
With Watson and Fuller together, the Texans jumped out to a 24-0 lead on the road against the Chiefs on Sunday in the divisional round. But the tide swung back Kansas City’s way, with a pair of questionable coaching decisions by Texans HC Bill O’Brien helping the Chiefs turn the deficit into a 51-31 win.
O’Brien elected to kick a field goal rather than go for a fourth and inches deep in Chiefs territory while up 21-0. Then while leading 24-7, he called for a fake punt on 4th-and-4 that was stopped and set Kansas City up in scoring position. Still, O’Brien continues to have the support of Houston’s most important player.
“There’s no doubt,” Watson said via ESPN’s Sarah Barshop. “I mean, you might have doubt, but there’s no doubt. I mean, I love that man. I’m going to play hard for that man. Y’all can say whatever you want to say through all the media and all the writing, but as long as I’m at quarterback, he’s cool with me. He’s got my heart. He’s going to get all of my 110 percent every time I step on that field. So y’all can say whatever, but [I’ll] always be rooting for that man and going to play hard for him.”
- John McClain of the Houston Chronicle says O’Brien’s job is not in any jeopardy following the Texans’ playoff collapse.
- O’Brien said he anticipates Texans DC Romeo Crennel coming back in 2020 though he still has to do one-on-one coaching evaluations: “I do anticipate him being back.” (Mike Garafolo)
- O’Brien doesn’t have any regrets about his trading spree at the beginning of the season: “Those moves did pay off. I do believe those guys came in and learned our culture and those guys played well.” (Wilson)
- O’Brien confirmed the Texans plan to extend Watson: “We want Deshaun Watson to be here for his career.” (Wilson)
- The same is true for Texans LT Laremy Tunsil, per O’Brien: “I can unequivocally state to you we want Laremy here for a long time.” (Wilson)
- O’Brien added the team hopes to “try to do what’s best for both sides” with regard to DT D.J. Reader, who’s a pending free agent. (Barshop)
- Texans LS Jon Weeks said he’d like to be back in 2020. (Wilson)