There were some reports earlier this offseason that the Colts had opened extension talks with RB Marlon Mack, but those were shot down emphatically by none other than team owner Jim Irsay. Mack’s long-term future in Indianapolis was put further in doubt when the Colts traded up to draft RB Jonathan Taylor in the second round, however, Mack appeared to take the move in stride.
“Just to show you what great teammates we have, I texted Marlon after we picked Taylor,” Colts HC Frank Reich said in a video released by the team . “I said to him, ‘You know how we roll, we spread the wealth at running back. Keep you both fresh and dominate. Every great football team needs a great 1-2 punch in the running game.’ His response was perfect. He said, ‘Yes sir, let’s go, let’s go get it.’ Isn’t that awesome?”
“With his positive response that he’s ready to go and help the team win, that shows you his class and how much of a teammate he is, and how much confidence he has in his own ability,” Reich added.
- In the team’s draft documentary, Colts GM Chris Ballard compared second-round WR Michael Pittman Jr. to former Chargers and Buccaneers WR Vincent Jackson: “Every time I watch him, I like him better. He’s big, he’s a build-up-speed guy, he can finish on the deep ball, he wins 50-50 battles. I just think the guy’s gonna be a good football player in this league.”
- John Oehser of the team website writes that for Jaguars QB Gardner Minshew to keep the starting job in 2020 and potentially beyond, he’ll have to improve his accuracy, cut out the stretches of ineffective play and — probably most importantly — win more games.
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer says again the Bengals tried to trade QB Andy Dalton to the Jaguars but Jacksonville’s interest was limited, potentially due to his salary.
- NFL Media’s Steve Wyche confirms the Jaguars have interest in Dalton as a free agent now that he’s been released, as he’d come in knowing the system better than Minshew, though salary still needs to be worked out.
- Wyche adds there’s some interest in former Panthers QB Cam Newton but Dalton would be clearly prioritized because of his relationship with Gruden and potential as a mentor to Minshew.
- Per Fox 26′ Mark Berman, Texans WR Brandin Cooks says there are no lingering issues from his concussions last fall: “As far as the concussions, I’m doing great.”
- Texans declined CB Gareon Conley’s fifth-year option. (NFLTR)
- According to Over The Cap’s Nick Korte, the Titans are projected to receive a third-round compensatory pick in 2021.
- Titans signed CB Johnathan Joseph. (NFLTR)
- Titans signed RB Senorise Perry. (NFLTR)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!