The Colts will have well over a $100 million of cap space to work with this offseason. However, GM Chris Ballard has maintained that he still plans to be judicious about how he’s going to use this money.
Ballard has also said that taking care of their own homegrown talent is among his priorities.
“Just look at the roster and look at the contracts that are going to be coming up over the next two- to three-year period,” Ballard said, via the Indy Star. “Eventually, what you’d like to happen is you’re paying your own guys, you’re rewarding the guys in the locker room who have done the right things for you.”
The Colts have been tossed out as a potential landing spot for high-priced free agents such as RB Le’Veon Bell and OLB Dee Ford. Ballard stresses that fit is a really important factor for them when it comes to finding free agents.
“If we think from a free-agent standpoint that we are going to get one of the high-priced (guys), we have a very strict guideline that he’s got to fit,” Ballard said. “He’s got to fit into the locker room, he is going to have to earn the salary he’s making, not only with his play, but with his impact and his presence within the locker room.”
- Quarterback: Will Grier, Drew Lock, Daniel Jones, Jarrett Stidham, Tyree Jackson
- Guard: Beau Benzschawel, Michael Deiter, Chris Lindstrom, Ben Powers, Dru Samia
- Tight end: Caleb Wilson, Foster Moreau, Josh Oliver, Tommy Sweeney
- Linebacker: Germaine Pratt, Te’Von Coney, Cameron Smith, Terrill Hanks, Ben Banogu, Bobby Okereke
- Running back: Dexter Williams, Wes Hills, Karan Higdon, Tony Pollard
- Jim Wyatt of TitansOnline.com can’t see the Titans signing QB Marcus Mariota to a long-term extension before the 2019 season, given that there are still questions about his ability and durability.
- Wyatt mentions that Mariota could very well bet on himself in the hope of securing a large contract in 2020.
- Regarding possible changes to their roster, Wyatt expects the Titans to make changes to their offensive line, add competition for their No. 2 receiver role, and sign a “stout” defensive lineman to pair with Jurrell Casey.
- Wyatt believes Titans’ impending free agent OLB Derrick Morgan’s future with the team is “cloudy” and they will have to decide between safeties Kenny Vaccaro and Johnathan Cyprien.