- Colts DC Matt Eberflus didn’t have to be convinced when GM Chris Ballard asked if he was on board with trading for DL DeForest Buckner: “Yes and yes.” (Bowen)
- He then expanded on what Buckner brings to the team: “You know what you’re getting in DeForest. … Whenever you have a defensive lineman that can dominate their spot, it’s easy to play linebacker, it’s easy to play in the secondary, because everything’s sped up, the line of scrimmage is changing in the run game.” (Joel Erickson)
- Eberflus believes between adding Buckner and getting DE Kemoko Turay back healthy, the Colts have what they need to rush the passer in 2020. (Bowen)
- Eberflus told reporters his experience coaching CB Xavier Rhodes in the Pro Bowl a couple of years ago influenced the Colts to bring him in, as he moves extremely well for his size. (Erickson)
- While Colts S Malik Hooker had moments where he played at a high level, Eberflus wants him to become more consistent. (Erickson)
- Third-round S Julian Blackmon stood out to Eberflus and the Colts because of his versatility and ball skills: “Julian is a guy like a lot of guys we have on our team. He can play different positions in our secondary. The first thing that pops off the tape is his ability to take the football away. No. 2 is his versatility.” (Holder)
- Colts DL Tyquan Lewis and DT Denico Autry are candidates to replace DE Jabaal Sheard at defensive end on running downs, per Eberflus: “They’ve both done that before. … Having players like that is a good thing for our defense.” (Erickson)
- The Colts announced long-time former DL coach John Teerlinck passed away at the age of 69. Teerlinck was with the Colts from 2002 to 2012 and coached both Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.
- ESPN’s Field Yates thinks the Texans make a lot of sense as a landing spot for free-agent CB Eli Apple given Houston’s track record of taking on former first-round corners like Gareon Conley and Vernon Hargreaves as reclamation projects.
- Yates also mentions former Panthers S Eric Reid as a candidate for the Texans, as he would pair with his brother S Justin Reid on the back end.
- ESPN’s Field Yates thinks the Titans make a lot of sense as a landing spot for free-agent DE Jadeveon Clowney.
- ESPN’s Matt Bowen adds free-agent DT Damon Harrison could make sense for the Titans as a way to bolster their front.
- Bowen also believes the Titans would be a strong fit for free-agent CB Eli Apple as they look to restock the secondary as well. Yates thinks the Titans could look at free-agent CB Prince Amukamara for the same reason.
- ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler mentions free-agent DT Mike Daniels as another option for the Titans to address the defensive line.
- Jim Wyatt of the official team website thinks Titans RB Senorise Perry has the lead on the third running back position because of his ability on special teams.
- Wyatt also wouldn’t rule out the Titans bringing back LB Wesley Woodyard if they run into injury issues but adds the depth chart is pretty loaded at the moment.
- Titans CB Johnathan Joseph‘s one-year, $2 million deal includes $1.5 million guaranteed. (Tom Pelissero)
- Joseph has an additional $500,000 in likely to be earned incentives and another $750,000 in incentives for a maximum value of $3.25 million. (Mike Garafolo)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!