- The Denver Post’s Ryan O’Halloran thinks Broncos WR DaeSean Hamilton may have dropped his chance — literally — at carving out a starting role for Denver, making receiver a need for the Broncos.
- O’Halloran points out Broncos DE DeMarcus Walker should move back into the regular rotation following the injury to DE Derek Wolfe.
- Broncos S Will Parks had two rods taken out of his thumb. He still has three screws and will continue to play with a cast. (James Palmer)
- Broncos LB Von Miller returned to practice and was limited, while G Ronald Leary remains in the concussion protocol. (Nicki Jhabvala)
- Broncos re-signed TE Bug Howard to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
Chargers RB Melvin Gordon held out for four games in an effort to secure a new deal with the team. But after it was clear that the Chargers weren’t budging, Gordon returned to the team and has continued to play with no further clarity on his long-term status.
“I don’t know, man,” Gordon said via the Los Angeles Times’ Mark DiGiovanna. “It’s hard to look and say you warrant anything when you’re losing. I just have to do my job. No one knows their situation. It’s the business side of things. I don’t know if I’ll be here or somewhere else. Hopefully, it is here.”
- Per Pro Football Talk, both Chiefs RBs Damien Williams (ribs) and Darrel Williams (hamstring) missed practice Wednesday, leaving LeSean McCoy, sixth-round rookie Darwin Thompson and recently-added Spencer Ware at RB for Kansas City.
- Chiefs HC Andy Reid said the team brought in Ware because of his familiarity with the team and to split carries with the other backs: “And he knows the offense. He doesn’t have to go through that whole thing . . . We’ll see at the end of the week how it fits in. He’s not going to be your starter and play every down. That’s not what he’s doing.” (Adam Teicher)
- Reid added that it was past time for Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy to have a shot at a head coaching job: “I’d say hire him, right now. That’s what I’d tell you. I don’t want to lose him but I mean if you’re asking me is he ready to be a head coach, yeah, he’s ready. He was ready last year . . . He’s in the quarterback room every day and I think if you’d talk to Patrick (Mahomes) he’d tell you how much influence he’s had on him.” (Teicher)
- Chiefs signed RB Spencer Ware. (NFLTR)
- Chiefs designated DT Xavier Williams to return from injured reserve. (NFLTR)
- Per the Athletic’s Vic Tafur, Raiders HC Jon Gruden is hopeful fifth-round rookie WR Hunter Renfrow could return for the final “game or two” of the season from his rib injury.
- The Raiders worked out tight ends Cole Wick (signed), Matt Flanagan, Pharoah McKever, and Bryce Williams. (Aaron Wilson)
- Raiders signed WR De’Mornay Pierson-El, TE Cole Wick and CB Jordan Brown to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
- Raiders released LB Quentin Poling and C Kyle Kalis from their practice squad.