Adam Schefter reported on” NFL Countdown” Sunday that there are some around the league who believe former Ravens RB Ray Rice will get an opportunity to return to the NFL this season.
Schefter says that it’s also a possibility that Rice could be hired by the NFL in a league office role.
Rice previously Tom Pelissero of USA Today that he’s willing to donate his salary to domestic violence programs in order to get another shot at playing in the NFL.
“All the scrutiny that I’ve got, it was deserved, because domestic violence is a horrible thing,” said Rice. “Me donating my salary is something that’ll be from the heart for me. I only want to play football so I can end it the right way for my kids and for the people that really believed in me. But I know there’s a lot of people affected by domestic violence, and every dollar helps. It’s raising awareness.
“People need homes. People need shelter when they’re in a crucial situation. I’ve donated a lot of money to charities, but I had a situation where it was a national crisis. I’m not saying I’d be (donating the salary) to get on the field, but it’s something that will show where my heart is. My heart is about finishing the right way and helping people along the way.”
Assuming a team was willing to sign Rice to a minimum value contract, he would make $885,000 for the 2016 season.
Pelissero says that Rice has been working out near his home in Connecticut and still speaking to people about his experience and the seriousness of domestic violence.
A few months ago, Rice admitted that “the window for playing is closing.”
“I’m training, but I’m more training for life,” Rice said, via NJ.com. “I think it’s safe to say that football … I don’t want to ever say I’m giving up, because that’s never going to be me … I’m happy. I’m in the best shape of my life, and I know if it doesn’t happen this year, it’s probably something I have to deal with. But you know what? It’s not the end of my life.
“I know that the window for playing is closing. But if my window closes, I’m going to make sure I open up a thousand more opportunities for kids, to give them an opportunity to pick up where I left off. That’s where I’m at. I’ve got three Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl. There’s a lot of people that can’t go out there and do what I did. But I don’t want it to end that way, it’s safe to say.”
Rice hasn’t found any interest from NFL teams since he was cut loose by the Ravens back in 2014. He has, however, made serious attempts to get involved and help people impacted by domestic violence, but it hasn’t lead to even preliminary interest from NFL teams.
Rice, 29, is a former second-round pick of the Ravens back in 2008. He lasted appeared in an NFL game during the 2013 season when he ran for 660 yards on 214 carries (3.1 YPC) to go along with 58 receptions for 321 yards receiving and four touchdowns.