The Lions announced on Thursday they have completed interviews with Rams college scouting director Brad Holmes and Vikings assistant GM George Paton.
— Detroit Lions (@Lions) January 7, 2021
Ian Rapoport says the Lions’ interview with Holmes was virtual, while Detroit met with Paton in person.
The list of candidates Detroit has interviewed includes:
- Former Texans GM Rick Smith (Interview)
- VP of player personnel Kyle O’Brien (Interviewed)
- Director of player personnel Lance Newmark (Interviewed)
- Director of pro scouting Rob Lohman (Interviewed)
- ESPN analyst Louis Riddick (Interviewed)
- Former Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff (Interview)
- Former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli (Interview)
- Rams director of college scouting Brad Holmes (Interview scheduled)
- Saints VP/assistant GM-pro personnel Terry Fontenot (Interview scheduled)
- Vikings assistant GM George Paton (Interviewed)
- Saints assistant GM Jeff Ireland (Interview scheduled)
- Rams college scouting director Brad Holmes (Interviewed)
Holmes, 41, has spent the entirety of his 18-year NFL career with the Rams, starting as a public relations intern and working his way up to director of college scouting.
Paton got his start in the NFL as a scout with the Bears in the late 1990s before moving up to assistant director of pro personnel in 2000. Paton worked with the Dolphins for six years as their director of pro personnel before joining the Vikings in 2007, where he’s been ever since.
Paton has been a popular name in GM searches over the past several years, but has declined to interview for a number of jobs to remain with the Vikings.