Cardinals EVP and COO Ron Minegar was arrested on suspicion of DUI on Saturday, per Adam Schefter.
“Ron Minegar’s actions last night are inexcusable,” the Cardinals said in a statement via NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport. “He made the decision to drive after drinking alcohol and is fortunate that he was pulled over before injuring anyone or himself. According to MADD, drunk driving results in almost 11,000 deaths per year and is the number one cause of fatalities on roadways. We fully recognize the seriousness of these actions and they will have serious consequences.”
In the 49ers preseason opener, the team sat 20 starters who it felt it was more important to keep healthy than to get reps in the game. Not included in that bunch was WR Dante Pettis, who HC Kyle Shanahan wants to see continue to compete for a starting receiver position.
“I wanted him to compete,” Shanahan said via NBC Sports’ Matt Maiocco. “We’re trying to see who our starting receivers are, and I wanted to get him a chance to get out there. Dante has a lot of room to grow. He can still get a lot better. So can a lot of the other guys.”
Conversely, 49ers third-round WR Jalen Hurd had a strong showing, catching a pair of touchdowns during the preseason opener. Hurd converted from running back to wide receiver in college and the 49ers have been moving him all over, hinting even at a potential move to tight end in the future. He showed off that versatility Saturday, lowering his shoulders to power through two defenders at the goal line for one score and lining up outside and catching a fade for the other.
“He’s worked a lot in the slot and he’s also worked a lot outside at Z, so he’s been doing both,” Shanahan said. “I know he played mainly in the slot in college, but we move most of our guys all over and he’s capable of doing both.”
- 49ers OT Shon Coleman is likely headed to injured reserve following surgery to repair a fractured fibula and dislocated ankle, per the Athletic’s Matt Barrows.
- 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan said LB Elijah Lee had thumb surgery today and will be sidelined for about two weeks. (Eric Branch)
- According to Shanahan, the 49ers will place OT Shon Coleman (ankle) on injured reserve Monday. (Nick Wagoner)
- Per Shanahan, they taking a look at available swing tackles including former 49er Garry Gilliam and will likely sign someone Monday. (Matt Barrows)
- Per John Boyle, Seahawks HC Pete Carroll says TE George Fant has a “legit” ankle sprain and is “shooting to get back for the opener.”
- Carroll says it’s “a matter of a week or so” until G Mike Iupati returns from injury. (Boyle)
- Seahawks DE Ezekiel Ansah is almost back at full strength from his shoulder injury and is taking part in walkthroughs. Carroll says Ansah should be ready for practice “a couple weeks before the game … and that should be enough.” (Curtis Crabtree)