- Per the Athletic’s Jon Machota, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says the team didn’t have interest in WR Antonio Brown: “You saw why (Sunday) with the play of those receivers. I’m really pleased with where we are at receiver. I didn’t think we’d go there.”
- Jones did not necessarily rule out a potential trade of 2017 first-round DE Taco Charlton, who was a healthy scratch Sunday: “We’re always looking to make our roster better, so we’ll see how that works out.” (Machota)
- Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones walked back his father’s comments about an “imminent” deal for QB Dak Prescott: “(Jerry) has different meanings for different words. … (Hopefully) we’ll put this in the rearview mirror sooner than later.” (Machota)
- Redskins HC Jay Gruden said after Sunday’s game that “there is for sure” a spot for Adrian Peterson on their roster, but they felt they needed the extra player for special teams. Regarding the decision to make Peterson inactive, Gruden said it was a “tough deal.” (Mike Garafolo)
- Peterson admitted that it was tough to be inactive on Sunday: “I don’t think I’ve kind of grasped it yet. It’s my first time ever being inactive, a healthy scratch. It was tough, of course. I’m a super competitior. I’ve been thinking about playing these guys since last year since the season ended and they broke us off. So it was tough not being out there, so I just have to make the best out of the situation, and in that way, I just become a coach on the sideline. Helping the guys out as much as I could, and cheering for the guys as well.” (Washington Post)
- Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio says teammates weren’t happy that Peterson was a healthy inactive on Sunday. Florio says if the team had voted on captains before Week 1, it’s very possible Peterson would have been one.
- According to Gruden, DL Jonathan Allen is “week-to-week” with a knee sprain and they felt “the risk was too great” to consider bringing him back in the game. (Mike Garafolo)
- According to Spotrac, Redskins LT Trent Williams has forfeited $653,860 in fines by holding out to this point.
- Gruden says he has not talked to Williams still. (JP Finlay)
- ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports Redskins RB Derrius Guice is dealing with a meniscus injury that he hopes is minor and will only last a few weeks.
- Guice could seek stem cell treatment for his injured knee to try and avoid surgery. (Finlay)
- With Guice injured, the Redskins will likely change their plans to lean on him as a feature back. (Finlay)
- If Guice can’t play, Gruden says Peterson would be “for sure” activated. (John Keim)
- Gruden also doesn’t expect being inactive Week 1 to linger with Peterson: “We have 15 games left and I expect Adrian Peterson to play and to play well.” (Finlay)
- Gruden is “very optimistic” Redskins TE Jordan Reed will be able to play Week 2 after missing Week 1 with a concussion: “But you never know.” (Keim)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!