Vikings GM Rick Spielman said QB Kirk Cousins has performed “totally different” this offseason compared to his first offseason with the team last year.
“I know just watching him from an evaluation standpoint through (spring drills) and stuff, it was totally different than him coming in last year and trying to learn a whole new system and his comfort level and him understanding what’s being asked of him to do,” Spielman said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press.
“The one thing that’s going to detail our success this year is that there’s no egos up there,” Spielman said. “Everybody contributes, everybody has opinions, everybody’s opinions are heard.”
Packers WR Geronimo Allison said his main focus this offseason is playing the slot and is “getting comfortable” as an inside and outside receiver.
“I like it,” Allison said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “Coming in, I’ve always been that utility guy, that versatile guy to kind of move around. I’m loving it. I’m getting comfortable inside and outside, and I’m going to make the most of every opportunity.”
- According to PackersNews.com’s Tom Silverstein, the Packers tried to trade DL Mike Daniels, but his $10 million cap number proved a hindrance for a player now viewed around the league as a situational pass-rushing defensive tackle.
- Packers HC Matt LaFleur said releasing Daniels was a tough decision, but the Packers depth on the defensive line helped prompt the move: “We feel really, really good about the group we have.” (Silverstein)
- Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said releasing Daniels freed up more financial flexibility for Green Bay: “There are choices you have to make. Some are more long term, looking forward.” (Ryan Wood)
- Asked if the Packers would look into an extension for DT Kenny Clark, Gutekunst said: “Kenny Clark is a dominant player in the NFL, and we would certainly like to get something done at some point.” (Wood)
- Packers first-round S Darnell Savage Jr. is expected to be ready for the first practice. He’s currently on the NFI list recovering from having his wisdom teeth out. (Wood)
- Gutekunst mention OL Billy Turner as potential depth at all five positions, including center. (Wood)
- Packers CB Kevin King is expected to be healthy for the start of training camp this week and avoid the PUP list. (Ian Rapoport)
- Packers S Josh Jones will report to training camp and practice Thursday after requesting a trade and sitting out portions of spring OTA’s. (Wood)
Vikings HC Mike Zimmer said first-round C Garrett Bradbury is “a brilliant kid” which will help him as he transitions to starting in the NFL.
“That helps a lot. He’s going to have a big load,” Zimmer said via Andrew Krammer. “Times like today help him get back into the groove of things a little bit. He’ll get help from the veteran offensive linemen.”
- ESPN’s Courtney Cronin projects Vikings QB Sean Mannion to win the backup job and UDFA QB Jake Browning to land on the practice squad.
- Cronin expects the Vikings to keep four running backs, with both Ameer Abdullah and Mike Boone making the final roster.
- Cronin thinks Vikings WRs Chad Beebe and Jordan Taylor could convince the team to move on from former first-round WR Laquon Treadwell this preseason.
- Vikings CB Holton Hill‘s suspensions pave the way for sixth-round CB Kris Boyd to make the final roster, per Cronin.
- Vikings CB Mike Hughes worked on a side field continuing rehab from a torn ACL last season. Hughes also missed the entire spring OTA program. (Chris Tomasson)