“With Kareem — did we talk about it? Yes. Was it serious? No,” Bears GM Ryan Pace said. “And I think every scenario that comes up, we’d do our team a disservice if we didn’t discuss every scenario. We talked about it but it never got serious.”
- The decision to release K Cody Parkey‘s was “performance based,” according to Pace.
- Bears WR Anthony Miller had shoulder surgery this offseason. Pace said his recovery is on schedule and Miller could be limited in offseason workouts. (Aaron Leming)
- Field Yates reports that Bears G Kyle Long agreed to reduce his base salary to $2.5 million as of his restructured contract. This, in turn, reduced his cap hit to $5.6 million for the 2019 season.
- Ian Rapoport adds that Long can make the $2.5 million back in incentives and the Bears turned his 2020 season into a team option while eliminating the 2021 year of his contract.
- Detroit GM Bob Quinn says CB Teez Tabor will stay at corner and the team is optimistic he’ll make a leap in his third season. (Michael Rothstein)
- The Lions are still evaluating DE Ezekial Ansah, but it’s “more of a medical conversation” per Quinn. (Michael Rothstein)
- Quinn says the Lions are “still in the process” of determining G T.J. Lang‘s future in Detroit. (Michael Rothstein)
- According to Dave Birkett, the Lions have hired former Bengals RBs coach Kyle Caskey to the same position in Detroit.
Green Bay GM Brian Gutekunst was non-committal on free agent WR Randall Cobb‘s future
“(He’s) Been a great player for us. One of the all-time Packers,” Gutekunst said via Sal Capaccio. “We are still putting that puzzle together. As we get all the information in the next few weeks, we will have a better idea of all that.”
The Packers are also happy with the production they got from TE Jimmy Graham and he remains a part of their plans in 2019.
“Jimmy had a productive year for us,” Gutekunst said via Wes Hodkiewicz. “I was really proud of him. He fought through a lot of things. Exuded professionalism. I look forward to what he could do for us next year”
- Gutekunst says a decision on LB Clay Matthews‘ future will be made soon. (Jim Owczarski)
- The Packers could also look to bring back DL Muhammad Wilkerson. (Aaron Nagler)
- Gutekunst said that RB Aaron Jones needs to improve his conditioning, but he wants the third-year back on the field as much as possible. (Tom Silverstein)
Upcoming free agent RB Latavius Murray says he wants to be a starter, either in Minnesota or elsewhere.
“I want everybody to know — make no mistake about it, I want to play,” Murray said via ESPN’s Courtney Cronin. “I want to start. I’m not content with being in a backup role, but I want to compete, and Dalvin knows that. We push each other. That’s what it’s about. But I would love to be back here for that opportunity to compete with and against them. That’s the only way you get better.”