“With Kareem — did we talk about it? Yes. Was it serious? No,” Bears GM Ryan Pace said. “And I think every scenario that comes up, we’d do our team a disservice if we didn’t discuss every scenario. We talked about it but it never got serious.”
- The decision to release K Cody Parkey‘s was “performance based,” according to Pace.
- Bears WR Anthony Miller had shoulder surgery this offseason. Pace said his recovery is on schedule and Miller could be limited in offseason workouts. (Aaron Leming)
- Field Yates reports that Bears G Kyle Long agreed to reduce his base salary to $2.5 million as of his restructured contract. This, in turn, reduced his cap hit to $5.6 million for the 2019 season.
- Ian Rapoport adds that Long can make the $2.5 million back in incentives and the Bears turned his 2020 season into a team option while eliminating the 2021 year of his contract.
- Detroit GM Bob Quinn says CB Teez Tabor will stay at corner and the team is optimistic he’ll make a leap in his third season. (Michael Rothstein)
- The Lions are still evaluating DE Ezekial Ansah, but it’s “more of a medical conversation” per Quinn. (Michael Rothstein)
- Quinn says the Lions are “still in the process” of determining G T.J. Lang‘s future in Detroit. (Michael Rothstein)
- According to Dave Birkett, the Lions have hired former Bengals RBs coach Kyle Caskey to the same position in Detroit.
Green Bay GM Brian Gutekunst was non-committal on free agent WR Randall Cobb‘s future
“(He’s) Been a great player for us. One of the all-time Packers,” Gutekunst said via Sal Capaccio. “We are still putting that puzzle together. As we get all the information in the next few weeks, we will have a better idea of all that.”
The Packers are also happy with the production they got from TE Jimmy Graham and he remains a part of their plans in 2019.
“Jimmy had a productive year for us,” Gutekunst said via Wes Hodkiewicz. “I was really proud of him. He fought through a lot of things. Exuded professionalism. I look forward to what he could do for us next year”
- Gutekunst says a decision on LB Clay Matthews‘ future will be made soon. (Jim Owczarski)
- The Packers could also look to bring back DL Muhammad Wilkerson. (Aaron Nagler)
- Gutekunst said that RB Aaron Jones needs to improve his conditioning, but he wants the third-year back on the field as much as possible. (Tom Silverstein)
Upcoming free agent RB Latavius Murray says he wants to be a starter, either in Minnesota or elsewhere.
“I want everybody to know — make no mistake about it, I want to play,” Murray said via ESPN’s Courtney Cronin. “I want to start. I’m not content with being in a backup role, but I want to compete, and Dalvin knows that. We push each other. That’s what it’s about. But I would love to be back here for that opportunity to compete with and against them. That’s the only way you get better.”
- Minnesota GM Chris Spielman said the Vikings were “very aggressive” in their pursuit of coach Gary Kubiak, given his familiarity with the Shanahan system QB Kirk Cousins has found success in. (Andrew Krammer)