- Matt Maiocco reports that 49ers LT Joe Staley will not require surgery on his fractured orbital bone.
- According to Maiocco, Staley doesn’t have any eye damage but there is quite a bit of swelling right now.
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the NFL is reviewing the play in which Eagles DL Fletcher Cox broke 49ers LT Joe Staley’s orbital bone for a possible suspension.
Jordan Raanan of ESPN takes a look at some of the players the Giants should consider moving ahead of tomorrow’s trade deadline.
- Raanan mentions that trading CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie “makes too much sense” for the Giants, especially after he was suspended. Raanan says New York should be able to recoup a mid to late-round pick for him and tosses out the Chiefs, Lions, Packers or Panthers as potential landing spots.
- According to Raanan, RB Shane Vereen is expendable and could be worth a late-round pick with the Ravens making sense as a trade partner.
- While it could be tough to sell the locker room on trading veteran LB Jonathan Casillas, Raanan thinks it could be a win-win, especially if a team like the Patriots showed interest in him.
- The last trade candidate for the Giants mentioned by Raanan is S Nat Berhe with the Chiefs and Cowboys possibly being fits.
Redskins LT Trent Williams admitted after Sunday’s loss to the Cowboys that his right knee injury is getting progressively worse.
“I’ve been dealing with it and it just hasn’t gotten any better,” Williams said, via John Keim of ESPN.com. “It’s progressively gotten worse. I’m essentially where I started a month later, so if it continues down that road I’m probably not going to be available for my team for a long time.”
Williams admitted that he’s probably going to have to undergo surgery at some point, but he wants to put it off.
“I’m gonna probably have to get it at some point,” Williams said. “Just being honest about the situation. If I put it off a couple more years, your body just don’t heal the same when you’re entering that third decade of life so I’ve got to weigh that type of decision, too.
“I don’t want to accelerate the end of my career like that. I don’t want injuries to force me out the door. I want to play until I’m ready to walk away.”