49ers CB Richard Sherman was outstanding in his second season in San Francisco in 2019. He recaptured most of the form that made him one of the NFL’s best corners in the last decade and hit most of the incentives in the contract he negotiated for himself. But his year ended on a sour note when he was beaten on a 38-yard-catch that was key in the Chiefs’ comeback win over the 49ers in the Super Bowl.
“It’s football,” Sherman said via the San Francisco Chronicle’s Eric Branch. “Nobody’s played a perfect game yet. It honestly didn’t bother me much, period. I went out there and prepared the best I could. The guy made a good play. It is what it is. I gave up a 38-yard catch in a football game. I gave up 60 yards in the game.”
- Should the 49ers lose passing game coordinator Mike LaFleur or run game coordinator Mike McDaniels to coaching jobs in 2021, Matt Barrows of The Athletic could see QBs coach Shane Day or TEs Jon Embree being promoted to either run- or passing-game coordinator jobs.
- Barrows also names 49ers DL coach Kris Kocurek as someone who could be a legitimate candidate at defensive coordinator given the production of their defensive line.
- Regarding 49ers TE George Kittle‘s upcoming contract negotiations, Barrows points out that San Francisco already committed money to Arik Armstead and Jimmie Ward without taking into account that the NFL’s revenue will likely be “way down” in 2020.
- Regardless, Barrows believes it’s unlikely that the 49ers will part ways with Kittle.
- Per the team website, Rams RB Darrell Henderson says he’s recovered from a high ankle sprain that ended his rookie year in Week 16: “Yeah. I’m good to go now. I feel like if we were able to practice today I’d be out there with no limits.”
- Adam Caplan writes the Seahawks plan to start first-round LB Jordyn Brooks at weakside linebacker if veteran LB K.J. Wright isn’t healthy for the start of the season. Wright is coming off of shoulder surgery.
- Caplan adds the Seahawks will give 2019 seventh-round WR John Ursua the chance to compete for the starting slot receiver role.