There were a lot of negative takeaways from the Bears’ offensive performance in Monday night’s loss to the Rams, as Chicago was held to just a field goal on offense. But it was a comment from broadcaster Brian Griese that drew the most attention as it drew attention to a potential rift between HC Matt Nagy and QB Nick Foles.
“We were talking to Nick Foles yesterday, [and] he said, ‘You know, sometimes play calls come in and I know that I don’t have time to execute that play call. You know, I’m the one out here getting hit. Sometimes the guy calling the plays, Matt Nagy, he doesn’t know how much time there is back here,’” Griese said on the broadcast via Jason Lieser of the Chicago Sun-Times. “So that’s something that they have to get worked out.”
After the game, however, Foles attempted to clarify what he meant.
“That’s not what I was trying to bring across in that conversation,” he said. “We go through plays and different situations, and I’ll be honest and say we need to get the ball out quicker. We were talking about game situations and Coach Nagy’s and my conversations and our relationship. I’ll say on the sideline, ‘Maybe we don’t have the time right now for this type of drop because of the pressure that they’re bringing.’ I think that’s a valuable conversation I’m able to have with him.”
- Nagy said on Tuesday he’s not opposed to giving up the play-calling if the staff decides he needs to, but they haven’t reached that point yet: “There’s no opposition from me if we feel like that’s what the issue is. We look at that. Right now, where we’re at, that’s not where we think it’s at. I’ll always continue each week to look at it.” (Kevin Fishbain)
- MLive.com’s Kyle Meinke writes that the Lions are unlikely to trade WR Marvin Jones as long as they see themselves as contenders, as flipping him for a mid-round pick wouldn’t help them win this year.
- If Jets DL Quinnen Williams is truly available, Meinke believes the Lions would be interested.
- According to SI.com’s Ed Kracz, the Packers were interested in Eagles TE Zach Ertz before he went on injured reserve.
- The Green Bay Packers are bringing in K Nick Vogel for a workout this week. (Rob Demovsky)