- The Buccaneers are bringing in RB Aca’Cedric Ware for a workout this week. (Aaron Wilson)
- Buccaneers promoted WR/KR Jaydon Mickens to their active roster. (NFLTR)
- Buccaneers placed RB Kenjon Barner on injured reserve.
The Falcons made DE Dante Fowler one of their big-ticket additions this offseason with the goal of adding to their pass rush. But so far in 2020, Fowler has gotten to the quarterback just twice after notching a career-high 11.5 sacks for the Rams last year. Falcons interim HC Raheem Morris said Fowler’s production hasn’t met the standard they hoped for.
“What hasn’t been good enough is he hasn’t had his sack numbers,” Morris said via Kelsey Conway of the team website. “In order to play in this profession, you have to be known for something. If you’re going to be known for getting sacks, you have to go out and get sacks and you have to be consistent and you have to be consistent with your effort.”
Fowler has dealt with ankle and hamstring injuries and also spent some time on the COVID-19 list. But he said he agreed with Morris “100 percent” that he hasn’t been productive enough in 2020.
“In order to be the best edge rusher in the league, you have to put up double-digits [sacks] every year,” Fowler said. “That’s my job, that’s my goal to be consistent every year come out with double digits.”
- Falcons C Alex Mack was limited in practice Wednesday as he works through the concussion protocol. (Jason Butt)
- Per the Athletic’s Joe Person, a source characterized the Panthers’ interest in former Washington QB Dwayne Haskins as more exploratory and due diligence at this point.
- Panthers HC Matt Rhule officially ruled RB Christian McCaffrey out of Week 17. (Person)
- Carolina also won’t have RB Mike Davis against the Saints, as he sprained his ankle this past week. (David Newton)
- Panthers CB Rasul Douglas says he’s not thinking about his expiring contract and free agency: “I’m just trying to stack as much good days of practice and games as I can.” (Person)