“Cameron Kinley is an exceptional young man and a shining example of the type of high-character individuals that make our nation’s military the most elite in the world. We appreciate and support the United States Naval Academy’s position with regards to Cameron’s fulfillment of his post-graduate service commitment and remain hopeful that he will one day have an opportunity to also fulfill his dreams of playing professional football.”
- Buccaneers first-round DE Joe Tryon is participating in minicamp after having knee surgery in the offseason. (Stroud)
- HC Bruce Arians said WR Antonio Brown is about two weeks away from returning and TE O.J. Howard is close as well. (Jenna Laine)
- OG Alex Cappa said he is healed from his fractured ankle: “I’ve been good for a while…The good thing is, you can take it slow in the offseason and make sure you get it right, so I was able to do that.” (Joey Knight)
- WR Chris Godwin believes he and QB Tom Brady have better chemistry this year: “I think the biggest difference is really the timing is a little bit better.” (Stroud)
- Godwin also said despite the undefeated talk, the goal of the team remains the Super Bowl: “You don’t get a special trophy for going undefeated.” (Stroud)
Falcons HC Arthur Smith said he is moving forward with the guys he has instead of worrying about losing WR Julio Jones.
“My concern is the guys we’ve got on this roster,” Smith said, via NFL.com. “I’ve dealt with a lot of different situations week to week in my experience in Tennessee. It doesn’t matter. They’re gonna roll the ball out there, we’re gonna kick off, there’s gonna be a game to play. Our objective is to go win. No different than what (we were) dealing with the COVID issue last year with Buffalo. We had four wideouts out that game. My job as a coach was to get us prepared to play and we’ll do whatever we have to do to win that game. That’s kind of how I look at it.”
- Smith said LB Deion Jones has an excused absence from minicamp. (Michael Rothstien)
- Smith also confirmed the team will have joint practices with the Dolphins in training camp. (Rothstein)
Saints QB Jameis Winston said he is motivated to earn playing time after being the backup quarterback last year.
“It’s all about being able to be humble and keep your eyes on the prize,” Winston said, via Pro Football Talk. “I’m staying onward, I’m moving forward in everything that I do. I have to get better every single year, whether it’s a great year or not-so-good year. My seven years — it’s about to be seven years in this league — have been a blessing because I’ve worked my whole life to have the opportunity to be a starting quarterback in this league. One year not playing has just made me even hungrier to get back at the realm and lead a team.”
- Saints DE Marcus Davenport focused on his mentality this offseason, believing he thought too much about “the numbers game” of sacks and tackles last year. (Larry Holder)
- Saints 2020 third-round LB Zack Baun said he is playing the WILL linebacker position this year. (Luke Johnson)
- Saints OL Cesar Ruiz mentioned his focus is on playing guard this year, and having a full offseason is helping a lot. (Mike Tripplett)