- According to ESPN’s Field Yates, the Buccaneers new deal for DE Jason Pierre-Paul includes a base value of $5 million.
- Tampa Bay was not obligated to pay Pierre-Paul because he was on the non-football injury list as a result of a neck injury suffered in a car crash in June.
- However, the team and player compromised, giving Pierre-Paul a chance to earn as much as $10.5 million and then hit free agency after the season.
- Per ESPN’s Jenna Laine, the Buccaneers could use the cap space freed by the move with Pierre-Paul to offer LB Shaquil Barrett, who’s exploded for eight sacks in three games, an extension before he hits the open market.
- Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports the Buccaneers have not yet approached Barrett about an extension, though he expects it happen shortly.
- According to the Athletic’s Greg Auman, the Buccaneers could potentially put themselves in position to gain a third and/or a fourth-round compensatory pick by releasing one or more of WR Breshad Perriman, LB Deone Bucannon or P Bradley Pinion.
- Tampa Bay would still have to pay $1 million in dead money for Pinion, while the salaries for Perriman ($4 million) and Bucannon ($2.5 million) are already guaranteed for the season. However, Auman writes that none of them would be hard to replace from an on-field perspective, as they’re either not playing much or not performing well at the moment.
- The Athletic’s Matt Schneidman believes Packers LB Kyler Fackrell needs to convert more pressures to sacks before the team considers extending him.
- The Packers officially ruled out DL Montravius Adams (Shoulder) and LB Oren Burks (Chest) for Thursday’s game against the Eagles and list OLB Kyler Fackrell (Shoulder), WR Jake Kumerow (Shoulder) and OLB Za’Darius Smith (Knee) as questionable.
- According to NFL Media’s Tiffany Blackmon, Panthers QB Cam Newton underwent an MRI at some point that confirmed he had suffered a midfoot sprain.
- Newton has been telling people he suffered a Lisfranc injury, which is somewhat interchangeable with a midfoot sprain according to a podiatrist Blackmon spoke to, although a Lisfranc injury is typically seen as more serious.
- If Panthers G Trai Turner can’t play Sunday after missing practice Wednesday with an ankle injury, Carolina would likely shift Daryl Williams to right guard and start second-round rookie Greg Little at left tackle. (Jourdan Rodrigue)
- Panthers DB Rashaan Gaulden says he’s 100 percent healthy, though he’s not sure if he’ll play this week. (Joseph Person)
- Panthers HC Ron Rivera said the team should have LB Bruce Irvin back “soon.” (Person)