- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer mentions the Dolphins knew pretty quickly what they had in QB Josh Rosen last year and didn’t need to start him more than the handful of games he lasted.
- Breer says Rosen’s arm talent showed up in one-on-ones, but outside of that the coaching staff thought he wasn’t processing as quickly as he needed to be, including seeing the field, getting rid of the ball or feeling the rush. Overall he played with a general lack of urgency.
- Breer adds sources with the Dolphins acknowledged Rosen’s personality was an acquired taste. Until people got to know him, Rosen could come off as arrogant and standoffish, which played into preconceived notions of him from the draft process.
- Per Alaina Getzenberg of the Charlotte Observer, Panthers LB Shaq Thompson and DE Stephen Weatherly were back and full participants in practice.
- Panthers TE Ian Thomas dressed but did not practice, while G Dennis Daley and CB Eli Apple were out.
- Panthers HC Matt Rhule said Daley is out indefinitely with a sprained ankle while Apple is still dealing with a hamstring injury. (Joe Person)
- Thomas is dealing with turf toe but Rhule doesn’t think he’ll miss Week 1: “I’m expecting Ian to go and be able to play.” (Myles Simmons)
- Per the New Orleans Advocate’s Luke Johnson, Saints HC Sean Payton said he doesn’t want to speak specifically on negotiations ongoing with RB Alvin Kamara: “I’m confident that at some point we’ll get this done, and we’ll let you know when that happens.”
- Kamara downplayed his need to have an injection in his back, saying the same thing happened last year and just needed some rest. (Katherine Terrell)
- Kamara disputed reports that he held out: “I’ve never held out in my life. … I came to the building every day. That’s all I’ve got to say.” (Terrell)
- Payton confirmed the team’s pursuit of DE Jadeveon Clowney including the exploration of a potential sign-and-trade deal: “We felt like we got close. We weren’t able to match the money. … It was one thought, just creatively, relative to essentially having a team sign a player, take some of the financial burden away from the team they trade him to and they get a draft pick back.” (Johnson)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!