- Per Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic, Cardinals HC Kliff Kingsbury said OLB Chandler Jones will have an MRI to determine how severe his biceps injury is and if it’s torn.
- Kingsbury added the team would explore any options available outside of surgery. (McManaman)
Despite flirting with the idea of pursuing Tom Brady this offseason, the 49ers have been resolute in their comments ever since that Jimmy Garoppolo is their franchise quarterback. That made the decision to bench Garoppolo during Sunday’s blowout loss to the Dolphins eyebrow-raising, but 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan said it was clear that despite being deemed healthy enough to start, Garoppolo’s ankle sprain was still affecting him.
“Just kind of watching how we were playing as a whole, how he was playing. You could tell he was affected by his ankle,” Shanahan said via Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer. “But I know he doesn’t normally throw the ball that way, and I think he was struggling a little bit because of it and the way the game was going, that I wasn’t going to keep putting him in those positions knowing we were going to have to throw it a lot to come back.”
- Rams HC Sean McVay said he was impressed with rookie RB Cam Akers’ return to action and plans to increase his workload next week against the 49ers.
- Per Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times, Seahawks HC Pete Carroll dodged a question about bringing former Falcons HC Dan Quinn back on board to the coaching staff: “I’m not thinking anything about that right now.”
- Carroll said DT Damon Harrison needed more time to work into shape and the team hopes to have him ready to play in two weeks coming out of the bye against the Cardinals. (Condotta)