- According to Mike Jurecki, the Cardinals have Richmond QB Kyle Lauletta on their radar.
- Jurecki points out that Cardinals QBs coach Byron Leftwich attended Lauletta’s Pro Day last week.
- Regarding the recent speculation about OT Jared Veldheer‘s status with the Cardinals, Jurecki says that things are in a “holding pattern” right now.
Kirk Cousins‘ agent, Mike McCartney, tells Rich Cimini of ESPN that the decision between signing with the Vikings and Jets wound up being “very close.”
“The Jets were terrific,” McCartney said. “I have a lot of respect for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles and their staffs. (Offensive coordinator) Jeremy Bates was very attractive to me, personally, for Kirk to fit into his offense. At the end of the day, it was close.
“I think Kirk decided to visit Minnesota first. Some of it is gut feel, some of it probably the fact that they were in the NFC Championship Game. But it was not an easy decision.”
According to Cimini, the Jets offered Cousins a fully guaranteed contract, but later attempted to sweeten the deal. Cimini says that the Jets “badly” wanted to sign Cousins and were willing to engage in a bidding war to get him under contract.
Cimini believes the Jets likely still would have lost to Vikings in the end, even if they had made Cousins their best offer right out of the gate.
- Cimini points out that while many assumed the Jets would have got a third-round compensatory pick for DL Sheldon Richardson had they held onto him and allowed him to talk this offseason, the one-year, $8 million contract he got from the Vikings is likely to end up as a fourth- or fifth-round pick next year.
- According to Mike Reiss, two candidates on currently on the Patriots’ roster to replace LT Nate Solder including newly signed Matt Tobin and Cole Croston.
- Reiss says that the Patriots would like to re-sign OT Cameron Fleming, but his market should begin to pick up next week.
- The Patriots reportedly met with fellow free agent OT LaAdrian Waddle on Friday and had him take a physical. (NFLTR)
- Reiss reports that the Patriots had scout Patrick Stewart on hand for Richmond QB Kyle Lauletta’s Pro Day.