A lot of things have not gone as the Cowboys expected to drop them from contending status to 2-4 on the season. One of those is the normal iron grip RB Ezekiel Elliott has on the football. After having one fumble all of last season, Elliott has lost the ball five times in six games so far in 2020, four of which have been recovered by the other team and two of which were in the first half and helped derail Monday night’s 38-10 loss to the Cardinals.
“Honestly, I don’t think it is much of what they did,” Elliott said via the Athletic’s Jon Machota. “I think it was me. I am supposed to be a guy this team can rely on. Supposed to be a guy this team can lean on when times get rough. And I just wasn’t that today. I got us started off to a terrible start. Defense was playing well. But I killed our momentum. Two fumbles, I can’t do that. I can’t.”
Elliott’s fumbles also put the defense in a poor position, as the unit crumbled on short fields after a strong start. Dallas’ defense has been the worst in the league but Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he’s “OK” with the job DC Mike Nolan is doing.
“I like the way we came out last night defensively,” he said via Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News. “I thought we had a good plan for the skills of Murray and what the Cardinals presented us. These aren’t excuses.”
- NFL Media’s Jane Slater says after a few weeks of dodging questions, some players have started expressing their discontent with the current defensive coaching staff. One called them “totally unprepared. They don’t teach. They don’t have any sense of adjusting on the fly.” Another added, “they just aren’t good at their jobs.”
- The Dallas Cowboys had punters Hunter Niswander and Cameron Nizialek in for workouts on Monday. (Aaron Wilson)
- Mike Kaye of NJ.com believes that a deadline deal for Eagles’ TE Zach Ertz is highly unlikely at this point. Instead, Kaye thinks he could potentially rest on injured reserve, returning in time to help the team attempt to take advantage of a weak NFC East.
- Kaye theorizes that the value in a trade for Ertz is currently at an all-time low due to his injury and recent performances. This means that the Eagles would get more from bringing him back healthy from his high-ankle sprain.
- Eagles released CB Trevor Williams from injured reserve.
- ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler and Dan Graziano say industry sources are eyeing the Giants for a potential general manager opening. Current GM Dave Gettleman is potentially on the hot seat given the team’s record and apparent personnel holes years into his tenure.
- Giants designated WR Sterling Shepard to return from injured reserve. (NFLTR)
- Giants signed DE Jabaal Sheard from the Jaguars’ practice squad. (NFLTR)
- Giants placed LB Tae Crowder on injured reserve.