- Per the Athletic’s Jon Machota, Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones said Dallas elected not to deal OLB Aldon Smith to the Seahawks because they didn’t want to completely give up on 2020: “I think we’re in this to still fight (in the NFC East). … We just have to stay the course here.”
- Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy praised second-round CB Trevon Diggs, who was burned a few times Sunday night but also had two interceptions: “Love the way he played, love the competitiveness. He has such a high level of competitive spirit. He had some tough challenges and the guy just keeps going. He’s as good a young player that I have ever seen when the ball’s in the air. Definitely a fine performance and he can build off it.” (Todd Archer)
The Eagles got the win against the Cowboys Sunday night and are now in sole possession of first place in the NFC East, but all is not good in Philadelphia. Eagles QB Carson Wentz tossed two more interceptions to push his NFL-leading total to 12 and fumbled the ball away two other times. Afterward, he acknowledged he has to play better.
“I can be better and put the ball in the right spot, but I am not going to change my aggressive mentality,” Wentz said via Marc Narducci of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “We’re going to start connecting on some of those big plays and obviously it hurt a little bit today, but the defense played great and we got the win. I am not good enough, I am pumped we got the win but I am going to have to watch the tape and I’m a little frustrated on how I played and how we left some plays out there, missed some big opportunities and I can be better.”
- Eagles HC Doug Pederson said there was no consideration given to benching Wentz even after his fourth turnover. (Zach Berman)
- CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora reports Washington is sending signals they’re not ready to move QB Dwayne Haskins yet but that’s believed to be because the offers are so low.
- La Canfora also expects the team to move DE Ryan Anderson before Tuesday’s deadline.
- The Athletic’s Ben Standig writes Washington hasn’t gotten any trade calls regarding Haskins and has received minimal interest in Anderson.
- While there was interest in DE Ryan Kerrigan at one point, Standig adds there hasn’t been anything recent. He says a Day Three pick likely wouldn’t prompt Washington to move on given his impact as a culture setter and even a more substantial offer might not be enough to get the team to part with its all-time sacks leader.
- Washington HC Ron Rivera didn’t want to “speculate on anything because it’s all been rumors” regarding a potential trade of Kerrigan. (Standig)
- Kerrigan has reportedly requested a trade but Rivera praised his presence in the locker room so far: “He’s been exactly what we hoped he would be. … He’s setting the example and he’s the right kind of guy that we have here.” (Nicki Jhabvala)
- Rivera noted the goal with offering S Eric Reid a spot on the practice squad was to give him time to get in shape and learn the system but Reid thought he was ready: “I wanted him to build his way into it. Eric felt he kept himself in great shape and was ready for action.” (Jhabvala)