Eagles QB Carson Wentz‘s 2020 struggles continued again in Week 3. Despite facing a supposedly softer opponent in the Bengals with an opportunity to bounce back, Wentz tossed another two interceptions, missed on a number of other passes and failed to push Philadelphia to its first win of the season as the Eagles settled for the tie. The criticism of Wentz is mounting but Eagles HC Doug Pederson stridently opposed any suggestion of benching the quarterback.
“You don’t go there,” Pederson said on WIP radio via NJ.com’s Chris Franklin. “That’s a kneejerk reaction. That’s a reaction to things that sometimes are the aura that’s out there. That’s not what we believe internally. We are going to continue to get better. Carson is our quarterback. We are going to get it fixed. Listen, we are only half a game out of first place. The whole division is not playing good football. We’re not that far off.”
- Pederson noted the team can help Wentz by taking steps to “unclutter” his mind and playing faster with more temp. (Zach Berman)
- Eagles WR DeSean Jackson is having tests on his hamstring to determine if he’ll miss any time. The injury isn’t believed to be serious but it could keep him out Week 4 against the 49ers. (Mike Garafolo)
- Pederson said the team’s other injuries include a lower body for TE Dallas Goedert and CB Avonte Maddox. Goedert will miss some time while Maddox is “maybe going to miss some time.” (Eliot Shorr-Parks)
- Pederson added LT Jason Peters will be okay and his exit from the game was fatigue-related.
- Pederson noted Eagles WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside picked up a lower-body injury on Sunday that impacted him during the game. He’s day-to-day now. (Shorr-Parks)
- The Eagles plan to ramp up WR Alshon Jeffery more this week and see if he’s ready to return by the end of the week. (Jeff McLane)
- Per Kelsey Conway of the team website, Falcons HC Dan Quinn said he anticipates getting some injured starters back in Week 4.
- Atlanta was missing WR Julio Jones, RT Kaleb McGary, S Ricardo Allen, LB Foyesade Oluokun, CB Kendall Sheffield and DE Takkarist McKinley on Sunday.
- Falcons CB Jordan Miller was reinstated from suspension. (NFLTR)
- According to NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero, Saints G Andrus Peat has a high ankle injury and he’s having more tests to judge the severity.
- Saints signed CB Ken Crawley to their practice squad. (NFLTR)