Eagles CB Darius Slay has shut down a lot of great receivers in his career. But he had his hands full with Seahawks WR D.K. Metcalf on Monday night. Metcalf was virtually unstoppable, with 10 catches for 177 yards on the night.
“It was a great battle. I won’t say it was difficult. I lost every 50/50 ball today,” Slay said via Pro Football Talk. “I am usually on the other side of that. Today, I am on the other side of it. I let the team down. I told the defense, that game was on me. I have to play better, but props to DK for giving me the good work. We are competing every play, but I lost every 50/50 ball and I have to be better.”
- Per Fansided’s Matt Lombardo, a former NFL GM thinks Eagles HC Doug Pederson is safer than GM Howie Roseman, as he thinks owner Jeffrey Lurie is aware of the fact that Pederson would be snapped up by another team the moment he’s fired.
- One executive tells Lombardo that part of the reasoning for Roseman’s selection of QB Jalen Hurts in the second round might have been as an insurance policy guarding against a potential sudden retirement by QB Carson Wentz, who’s been battered like Andrew Luck was in his NFL career so far: “You have to remember, this is a guy with a family and interests outside of football.”
- Eagles WRs Alshon Jeffery and Travis Fulgham essentially split snaps and Pederson suggested that was the plan moving forward: “Travis is still part of the offense and he knows he needs to continue to get better … Alshon is getting healthier … We need to use both those big targets.” (Mike Kaye)
- Pederson said he takes pride in calling the plays on offense but making a change is “on the table.” (Eliot Shorr-Parks)
- According to ESPN’s Jordan Raanan, the Giants plan for QB Alex Tanney to practice remotely over the next “week or so.”
- This comes after the Broncos had its entire quarterback’s room get infected with COVID-19 last week.
- Raanan points out that it “makes sense” for the Giants to shelve Tanney since he has been on the roster since training camp, knows their system, and has already worked with most of the players. (Raanan)
- Giants QB Daniel Jones did not practice on Wednesday as he received treatment for his hamstring injury. (Ian Rapoport)
- Giants OLB Oshane Ximines underwent successful shoulder surgery. (Pat Leonard)
- The Athletic’s Rhiannon Walker is more optimistic about QB Dwayne Haskins remaining with the Washington Football Team in 2021, as the indications have been Haskins is responding well to his reduced role, including being a supportive teammate on the sidelines and improving in his studies off the field.
- Walker believes adding help on the offensive line and receiving corps should be a major draft priority for Washington. She adds the team could use upgrades at free safety and linebacker.
- Washington C Chase Roullier should be the first player in line for an extension, per Walker, as he’s on an expiring deal and should be easier to negotiate with than G Brandon Scherff.
- Walker also thinks the team could extend DT Tim Settle, who still has a year left on his deal, this offseason.
- The Washington Football Team is bringing in RB Michael Warren and QB Taylor Heinicke for visits this week. (Albert Breer)