- According to Eliot Shorr-Parks, Eagles second-year CB Sidney Jones had a strong offseason on the field and made a number of plays in offseason workouts open to the media. Although, he dealt with some lower body soreness which cost him the final three practices.
- Shorr-Parks wouldn’t be surprised to see the Eagles sign a punter to compete with Cameron Johnston this summer.
- According to Shorr-Parks, Jalen Mills is the safest bet to replace Patrick Robinson as the team’s nickel cornerback.
- Regarding a new contract for DE Brandon Graham, Shorr-Parks admits that time is running out and it seems unlikely he’ll get a new deal before the start of the regular season. Shorr-Parks points out that its possible talks could pick up during the year, as the Eagles are one of the few teams to work on extensions during the season.
- At running back, Shorr-Parks expects Jay Ajayi to be the clear leader in carries this year followed by Corey Clement. Veteran Darren Sproles figures to be the team’s third-down back, but Shorr-Parks says that Donnel Pumphrey could be a “wildcard” for the Eagles.
- Jourdan Rodrigue of the Charlotte Observer mentions that rookie TE Ian Thomas got some first-team snaps on the last day of minicamp and looks like an impressive athlete. According to Rodrigue, Thomas will battle Chris Manhertz for the No. 2 tight end job this summer.
- Rodrigue says that the Panthers will look to Wes Horton to step up and become a rotational pass rusher who will rotate with Julius Peppers opposite Mario Addison.
- Rodrigue notes that LB Shaq Thompson appears to have bulked up this year as he prepares to fill in for Thomas Davis, who is serving a four-game suspension.
Redskins DL coach Jim Tomsula mentioned that he’s really excited about first-round pick Da’Ron Payne and has had his eye on him for a few years now.
“I’ve been watching the guy for two years — a guy who I was really excited about trying to get,” Tomsula said, via Richmond.com. “He’s athletic, he’s smart — I like his DNA; I like who he is as a guy.
“The difference between confidence and arrogance is ignorance. I’ve got to have real confident guys, but you can’t cross over and be an arrogant guy, because then you’re just ignorant. He’s got that confidence. Doesn’t say a lot — he just loves football.”