Falcons DC Raheem Morris took responsibility for the team’s defensive struggles in Week 1 against the Seahawks after over-committing to defending the run.
- Per Myles Simmons of the team website, Panthers HC Matt Rhule said DE Yetur Gross-Matos was hit in the eye during a one-on-one rep on Wednesday. Concussion symptoms developed Thursday and he was placed in the protocol.
- Panthers CB Donte Jackson left Sunday’s game with an ankle injury but Rhule said he’s tracking to play in Week 2: “Donte looks great. He looks like he’ll go out there and play and play really well.” (Joe Person)
- NewOrleans.Football’s Nick Underhill notes Saints LB Demario Davis‘ three-year, $27 million extension includes an $11 million signing bonus, base salaries of $1.05 million and $2.7 million the next two years that are guaranteed and a $3.6 million roster bonus in 2021.
- Underhill expects the Saints to convert the 2021 roster bonus to a signing bonus to create cap space.
- Davis’ deal includes a voidable year in 2024 to help prorate the cap hits. Those are currently set to be $8.1 million, $9.7 million and $10.7 million.
- NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport notes the typical timeline for a high ankle sprain is 4-6 weeks which would keep Saints WR Michael Thomas out until after the team’s Week 6 bye. But Rapoport wouldn’t be surprised to see Thomas push hard to get back on the field before then.
- Saints HC Sean Payton didn’t rule out Thomas for Week 2’s Monday night game against the Raiders but didn’t provide any other injury updates: (Omar Ruiz)