- Jason Fitzgerald of OverTheCap says that a good year for LB Shaq Barrett would have put him in the discussion for earning $10 to $13 million per season, yet the outstanding season he had instead could earn him a contract worth $20 million per year.
- Ian Rapoport reports that Barrett and the Bucs are not close on a long term deal and could be looking at a one-year deal instead.
- According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, the two sides are still working on a long term deal.
- Regarding the Buccaneers’ running backs group, Jenna Laine of ESPN writes that Ronald Jones can continue as their first- and second-down back, but he is not a “natural pass-catcher.”
- Although Laine points out that Buccaneers third-round RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn is a better receiver than Jones, she feels that Jones has better burst while Vaughn is similar to what they had in Peyton Barber.
- Laine believes Vaughn’s playing time will depend on how quickly he learns their playbook and how well he does in pass protection.
To get his chance at proving himself after an injury-riddled past two seasons, QB Cam Newton had to take a bare-bones deal with the Patriots after the Panthers released him with one year left on his contract. If Newton’s able to return to form, it will only intensify questions of why the Panthers moved on from their best quarterback in franchise history. Former teammate and new Jets G Greg Van Roten is one of several players who have qualms with Carolina’s decision-making.
“I was surprised, but I also saw it coming, if that makes sense,” Van Roten said in an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “It was one of those situations where you have this talent, you have this franchise quarterback and you’re going to release him? Like, to me, that seems like an interesting business decision, because you can replace a coaching staff, you can get a new scouting department, you can get a new business side of football – when it comes to a franchise quarterback – and there’s plenty of teams across the league that will attest to it, like, you better be right, because you’re mortgaging the next couple of years on that decision. You know, I know Cam had some injury issues in the past, but the guy is a competitor.”